3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Paulinations
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Console

hey I'm looking to do a center console swap eventually and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find one(other than the junk yard, I've checked around my area)? I have the center third seat....

But I want this:

any help is appreciated

Old 09-25-2012, 12:53 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

I think it would be a pain, but can be done. If not at a junk yard then maybe the dealer or ebay may be your only choice.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...le-seat-3.html

Last edited by jkeaton; 09-25-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Paulinations
Professional

thanks for that thread...I'm willing to put in the time and i found out from doing some research that its the same console as a few years before 2005 and there is one at my local Pull-a-part. so i'll be making the trip down there soon! Thanks for showing me that thread!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Yea, I should have mentioned that. I think 2000 or 2001 and up is the same console. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:43 PM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulinations
thanks for that thread...I'm willing to put in the time and i found out from doing some research that its the same console as a few years before 2005 and there is one at my local Pull-a-part. so i'll be making the trip down there soon! Thanks for showing me that thread!
Make sure the catch release works. Mine was busted when I bought the truck - they gave me a $200 cheque. There is a little plastic ridge behind the push handle that breaks off. There seem to be all kinds of reasons why the original didn't work so well - Dodge sells a replacement system for $200 - on my truck it looks like the return spring is too stiff. I finally found one at the u-pull yard that worked and it had a much lighter spring. I destroyed a flat screwdriver snapping the rivets off because I didn't have most of my tools when I dropped in for a bit of trim for my wifes car. $2 plus another $3 for 50 rivets of the correct size and it works like a charm now!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Paulinations
Professional

Originally Posted by northgator8
Make sure the catch release works. Mine was busted when I bought the truck - they gave me a $200 cheque. There is a little plastic ridge behind the push handle that breaks off. There seem to be all kinds of reasons why the original didn't work so well - Dodge sells a replacement system for $200 - on my truck it looks like the return spring is too stiff. I finally found one at the u-pull yard that worked and it had a much lighter spring. I destroyed a flat screwdriver snapping the rivets off because I didn't have most of my tools when I dropped in for a bit of trim for my wifes car. $2 plus another $3 for 50 rivets of the correct size and it works like a charm now!
thanks for the heads up

also for future reference...anyone else that is looking to do this, I'm 99% sure the 01-03 durango's had the same consol in the center!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Frankiejaime88
Professional

I'll Trade you my center console for your seat

Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I swapped out my middle seat for the floor console and am extremely happy that I did it.

Thread link

There are pictures and a writeup about it. Second gen consoles do fit the third Gens. Mine is from a second Gen.

Last edited by dakotaff; 09-27-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Paulinations
Professional

Originally Posted by Frankiejaime88
I'll Trade you my center console for your seat
are you anywhere near northwest Kentucky?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Paulinations
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I swapped out my middle seat for the floor console and am extremely happy that I did it. I can't link from my phone, but search for 'Passenger airbag light issue' for the thread. There are pictures and a writeup about it. Second gen consoles do fit the third Gens. Mine is from a second Gen.
That's a great write up! Thanks! I can't wait to get started. Although I wish I didn't have to drill those rivet things out...oh well...stuff is rarely easier than it seems.

Quick Reply: Center Console