3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Got the Strut Bolts loose, no heat!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:14 PM
DM_kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the Strut Bolts loose, no heat!!!

So I just wanted to share with the world that I was able to get my bottom strut bolts loose without using a torch.

I thought I would share my method.

I first took the tires off the truck and got my 15/16 socket for the bolt head and the 7/8 for the nut. Spun the nut off the strut bolt then hit it with some PB blaster first just to start working on it.

Then I took a 1/2" breakerbar and put it on the bolt head end with the Bar pointing straight out of the side of the truck. Then turned it 90deg and used the brake caliper bleeder to hold the bar in place. this rotated the bolt and collet while twisting the rubber bushing some.... just putting force on it.

On the collet that has the strut bolt on it, there is a slot where the gap is from rolling it. I hit that with a 50/50 mix of Acetone and power steering fluid. then let it sit- 2-4 hours

After sitting for a while, I did a combination of hitting the nut end with a 10 lb sledge and ratchet on the bolt head.

I found that a constant pressure for a while is just as good as some heat on the bolt. basically the torque force on the collet/ rubber piece from being turned 90 deg was enough over time to crack it loose

tomorrow I put on struts and my home-made leveling kit

Old 10-06-2012, 11:37 PM
bonecollector 3
Rookie

Thats some good thinking^^..... I dint have any problem with mine when installing the leveling kit (Praise the Lord) haha. Nice job with the Homemade leveling kit too.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Eagle337
Amateur

when you put bolts back in, put some never seize all over the bolt.
I also didn't have any trouble getting my bolts out when I put in my leveling kit.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 PM
DM_kota
Professional

so.. I wish that I was posting here tonight to show off my fancy level kit and success story. But I am not.

Strut bolt spun freely, and started to back it out thinking it would thread itself out.

got to 4 threads showing on the backside and stopped, so I thought a hammer would motivate it out..

2 hours later and after cutting the strut out-

AW S***

So now what, I used a sledge hammer and it wouldn't slip out; seriously Chrysler from 2007; I want to throat punch all of your engineers who built the Dakota.

I might pick up a ball-joint press and see if I can press it back through again and maybe just see if there is crap on it that got it stuck. I have also heard that the bolt can be slightly bent.

I will take any thoughts on getting it out.... this is getting ridiculous.

Last edited by DM_kota; 10-08-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

You jinxed yourself by posting you got them loose before you really got them "loose" (as in, in your hand loose). At this point, you might as well torch them. Let them burn off. Keep a fire extinguisher close by though ....

Old 10-08-2012, 05:30 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You jinxed yourself by posting you got them loose before you really got them "loose" (as in, in your hand loose). At this point, you might as well torch them. Let them burn off. Keep a fire extinguisher close by though ....

Yeah i should have been more careful when I was bragging... but I did end up getting it out. I put the nut back on it and pulled the bolt back through. There was a TON of crud on the bolt. So with a combination of WD-40, wire brush, and Air i was able to get it to the point where I pulled it out by hand!

This was after going and renting 200 dollars worth of tools from places, apparently that's the trick

Another question. I have the strut back together, but before I put it in. Is this also supposed to go back on the strut? I cracked this one in half... where can I get a new one?

Obviously this means I have 1 side done..

also how important is a dust boot?

Last edited by DM_kota; 10-08-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by DM_kota
Yeah i should have been more careful when I was bragging... but I did end up getting it out. I put the nut back on it and pulled the bolt back through. There was a TON of crud on the bolt. So with a combination of WD-40, wire brush, and Air i was able to get it to the point where I pulled it out by hand!

This was after going and renting 200 dollars worth of tools from places, apparently that's the trick

Another question. I have the strut back together, but before I put it in. Is this also supposed to go back on the strut? I cracked this one in half... where can I get a new one?

Obviously this means I have 1 side done..

also how important is a dust boot?
I think that is the "isolator" or something like that and I do believe it is important or the spring bangs on the strut mount. If my memory serves me. What dust boot are you referring to?

Last edited by jkeaton; 10-09-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Spelling errors.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is part of the strut mount (rubber isolator as Kent stated) Moog and Monroe both make the parts. You can get them at Advance or Autozone

Old 10-08-2012, 11:48 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
It is part of the strut mount (rubber isolator as Kent stated) Moog and Monroe both make the parts. You can get them at Advance or Autozone

This is the strut Seat, the plastic piece that goes on the top of the spring...

so it goes strut, spring, spring seat, rubber isolator, strut mount, spacer, right?

I'll see if I can find one tomorrow,

should it slip over the rubber piece that is already in?

sorry for blurry pic top is strut- dust boot is in the middle of it covering the shaft

bottom right- the Strut seat?- Bottom left, the rubber isolator.

Last edited by DM_kota; 10-08-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Did you take a pic of how it was assembled originally? I never had one apart so I don't know how it all goes back together.

Quick Reply: Got the Strut Bolts loose, no heat!!!