3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it an aftermarket alarm? That could be the problem

Old 11-23-2012, 11:54 AM
DaKoCuN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures! Welcome to DF

Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronius_MAXimus
Hi everyone, I recently picked up a 2007 Dakota SLT Quad Cab in 2WD V6. I have a few questions (that may be stupid) but I'm not to afraid to ask.

1. My low-beams in my headlights remain on for about 1 minute after I turn off the car. I know this is a courtesy feature but is there any way to stop / disable this function? And if so, how?

2. This is a stupid question, but does my 2WD V6 have a front & rear differential? I've previously owned an Xterra and I know I had to repl ace the front & rear differential oil every 10,000 miles or so and I want to make sure all fluids are up to date if need be. If you can tell me, what kind of differential oil and how much should I buy?

Thank you in advance and i'll gladly appreciate any help. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ronius,

The headlamp delay is to help with your exit of the vehicle and will leave them on for 60 seconds. It's initiated when the ignition is turned off while the headlamp switch is on, and then the headlamp switch is cycled off. This can be cancelled by either turning the headlamp switch on then off or by turning the ignition on. You can find this information on page 92 of your Owner's Manual.

A 2007 Dakota SLT Quad Cab in 2WD V6 will have a rear differential and the oil should be changed every 25,000km. As per the Owner's Manual page 347, what is recommended to use for the Rear Axle is SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Lubricant. Limited Slip Rear Axles require Mopar Limited Slip additive. Four ounces (118ml) should be added to the gear lubricant whenever a fluid change is made.

I hope this helps and Welcome to the Dodge Forum.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Ronius_MAXimus
Professional

Thank you everyone for being so helpful and welcoming. I really appreciate it the hospitality. DodgeCACares, you're awesome as well! I think ill tackle the rear diff fluids tomorrow. Ive tried a few times to turn off and on my headlights before and after turning the car off and still cant get the headlights off...

Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 AM
DaKoCuN
Professional

1. My low-beams in my headlights remain on for about 1 minute after I turn off the car. I know this is a courtesy feature but is there any way to stop / disable this function? And if so, how?

This happened also in my truck and I tough it was 'cause I have a 6000K HID Bixenon lights but after 1 minute or so the lights shut off by itself

Old 11-24-2012, 12:23 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

This is from the Dakota owners manual. If something else is happening, it is not normal.

Headlamp Delay
To aid in your exit, your vehicle is equipped with a
headlamp delay that will leave the headlamps on for 60
seconds. This delay is initiated when the ignition is
turned OFF while the headlamp switch is on, and then
the headlamp switch is cycled off. The headlamps will
remain on for 60 seconds. Headlamp delay can be
cancelled by either turning the headlamp switch ON then
OFF or by turning the ignition ON.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronius_MAXimus
Hi everyone, I recently picked up a 2007 Dakota SLT Quad Cab in 2WD V6. I have a few questions (that may be stupid) but I'm not to afraid to ask.

2. This is a stupid question, but does my 2WD V6 have a front & rear differential? I've previously owned an Xterra and I know I had to replace the front & rear differential oil every 10,000 miles or so and I want to make sure all fluids are up to date if need be. If you can tell me, what kind of differential oil and how much should I buy?

Thank you in advance and i'll gladly appreciate any help. Happy Thanksgiving!
Ronius,

The link below will take you to a copy of the owners manual in case you have other questions or for a copy of the maintenance schedule. Just select the year and model.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/

Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Ronius_MAXimus
Professional

Thank you for the info! I do have an aftermarket alarm as my truck never came with power locks so maybe that might have something to do with it? ..... Im going to throw out another question here as well... Im getting an aero turbine muffler installed and I was wondering if i should as well get a new high flow cat? Do high flow cats make a difference? Will it mess with my emissions? Thanks again in advance

Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The restriction in our exhaust system is the y-pipe. Replace that and the CC, and it would be worth it.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Dragon05
Veteran

Welcome aboard, definitely look into the front end. I've been on the lucky side and am just now having to do mine at 108000 miles.

Quick Reply: New owner with a few questions