3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Ronius_MAXimus
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner with a few questions

Hi everyone, I recently picked up a 2007 Dakota SLT Quad Cab in 2WD V6. I have a few questions (that may be stupid) but I'm not to afraid to ask.

1. My low-beams in my headlights remain on for about 1 minute after I turn off the car. I know this is a courtesy feature but is there any way to stop / disable this function? And if so, how?

2. This is a stupid question, but does my 2WD V6 have a front & rear differential? I've previously owned an Xterra and I know I had to replace the front & rear differential oil every 10,000 miles or so and I want to make sure all fluids are up to date if need be. If you can tell me, what kind of differential oil and how much should I buy?

Thank you in advance and i'll gladly appreciate any help. Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronius_MAXimus
Hi everyone, I recently picked up a 2007 Dakota SLT Quad Cab in 2WD V6. I have a few questions (that may be stupid) but I'm not to afraid to ask.

1. My low-beams in my headlights remain on for about 1 minute after I turn off the car. I know this is a courtesy feature but is there any way to stop / disable this function? And if so, how?

2. This is a stupid question, but does my 2WD V6 have a front & rear differential? I've previously owned an Xterra and I know I had to replace the front & rear differential oil every 10,000 miles or so and I want to make sure all fluids are up to date if need be. If you can tell me, what kind of differential oil and how much should I buy?

Thank you in advance and i'll gladly appreciate any help. Happy Thanksgiving!
Welcome to DF.

1) I do not think there is a way to automatically have them turn off, what I do on my wifes car is manually turn the lights on and back off after I turn the car off and then they go out.
2) A 2wd only has one differential. In the back. Differential fluid changes every 10k is a bit excessive imo, check the owners manual for recommended intervals. I think it is every 60k.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Ronius_MAXimus
Professional

Thanks Jkeaton for the response. I figured there was only 1 differential but i'm not very knowledgable when it comes to trucks/SUV's as i've mostly dealt with small cars throughout my life. Loving it though. I've been reading up on some front end problems and after installing some new falken rocky mountains, I noticed that there is some very minor vibrations on the driver's side front wheel when i'm going over 45mph.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:20 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Don't be afraid to ask questions and post up some pics of your truck...we love pics!! Vibration could be many things. Did it do it before the new tires? If not I'd take it back and have them re-balance. Some on here have had a time getting these wheels balanced.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:43 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Try turning the lights off before you turn the truck off. Unless you have automatic daytime driving lights, then I think your stuck with them as is.

For the vibration, you can try and rotate the front left tire to the rear, and see if the vibration goes with it.

Welcome to DF.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:42 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you have to do (if the lights stay on when you turn off the truck) is cycle the toggle switch twice. Go from On to off, then off to on, then on to off.

If the switch is already set to ON, just twist it to off, then back to ON, then to OFF, and they should be off.

Two quick twists of the wrist.

This will turn them off.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two front wheels freely rotate. None of the power is transferred to the front wheels. It goes engine, transmission, driveshaft, differential. Your Xterra must have been a 4x4 or AWD. My headlights I just turn on manually, I don't have automatic. Like Jkeaton said, shut them off and back on and off before getting out

Old 11-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dakotaff
Try turning the lights off before you turn the truck off. Unless you have automatic daytime driving lights, then I think your stuck with them as is.

For the vibration, you can try and rotate the front left tire to the rear, and see if the vibration goes with it.

Welcome to DF.
DRL dont affect it at all.

If the headlights are off, and the truck is turned off they go out. (Regardless if you have DRL's or not)
If the headlights are on, and the truck is turned off, then the Headlights are turned off, They stay on for about a minute.
If the headlights are on, And they are turned OFF before the truck is. They Stay out. Atleast mine have.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:00 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Mine too, I wasn't sure about the DRL's.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Ronius_MAXimus
Professional

I will certainly get some pics up soon Ive been so accessory-happy lately. Tomorrow I have the day off so I will try to find some time to install some bushwacker fenders. I tried turning my lights off going from on to off a few times before and after the engine is turned off and the lights still wait about 30 seconds to a minute after arming my alarm before they shut off.

Quick Reply: New owner with a few questions