3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

That time of the year again: remote starters

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 AM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That time of the year again: remote starters

Every year right around this time I get tempted to put in a remote starter. I had one in my previous Dakota R/T which I paid I think $150 installed, but that was years ago. The one place I checked with wants $350 installed. What is your experience?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM
dsimm87
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine, to an extent. Works well when you are about to leave home or work and can let the truck run for at least 5 minutes while you do other things. Also, it helps to remember to turn on your heater when you exit the truck for the last time (so the heater runs when you remote start). Out around town, it doesn't really do much since it's typically too far away to start and you can only hit it when you get 30 secs away from the truck. BUT mine is the factory installed one. I think Viper brand has one where you can start it anywhere with your smartphone, which would be much more convenient. And I think there's an option where you can roll down the windows during the summer to let all the heat out before entering.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

I would only go with a OEM one, more pricy. But then you dont have to worry about a hack splice job later on.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reject
I would only go with a OEM one, more pricy. But then you dont have to worry about a hack splice job later on.
Also, I think (not sure) that the OEM is designed to interface with your computer and doesn't require you to hide a key in close proximity to the chip reader to be able to keep the engine running for more than a few seconds.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 AM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By OEM do you mean as a factory option or just dealer installed later on? I do worry about people messing with my electrics.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 AM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Viper is the devil, stay away from them like the plague! When I bought my Durango, it had a viper remote start on it. It failed on my GF, activating the security features.. ALL OF THEM. The power locks ceased to work, the alarm would scream and squawk intermittently, the engine would die at random intervals, and it would drain the battery overnight. No Dodge dealer would touch it, no private shop would touch it, even the blasted company that originally installed it refused to work on it. Viper themselves said "they no longer support that model" and refused to even give me the installers instructions and the wiring schematic. It took me almost 3 weeks of going through the wiring harness from the schematics to figure out where everything was. and get everything back to working, and even then I had to have Dodge re-flash the PCM to get it running [the solution on the ticket after 4 days of troubleshooting].. So, cliffs-notes, don't buy viper, or any of the related companies. Mopar may cost more, but at least they support their own stuff...

Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dsimm87
I think Viper brand has one where you can start it anywhere with your smartphone, which would be much more convenient. And I think there's an option where you can roll down the windows during the summer to let all the heat out before entering.
Yes, they have one that will do both of those, but I believe it is the priciest model (and requires extra modules for features such as the windows down option). The "start from your smartphone from anywhere" option requires you to pay a yearly fee. My wife has been eyeing this one for a while for her Jeep, and I just can't bring myself to pay the $500-$600 (with installation) price tag.

I have the factory system as well, and you can start it within a hundred feet or so reliably, unless its really cold out, then maybe fifty feet. If you unlock the doors and leave them unlocked for more than a few minutes (never kept track of exactly how long), or if you open the hood, the truck shuts off. It also has a 15 minute timer on it, I believe, so that if it runs that long without a key in the ignition, it will turn off.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The run time is programable - find the instruction manual online (any Mopar product seems to have the same programing features if the year is correct) and follow the instructions.

You can restart up to three times (I needed that this morning since it was 23C below!). I can start mine from the 4th floor office window at work without any trouble. As stated earlier, the hardest thing is to remember to leave the fan/heat/defrost all on high! Even if you forget, having the engine warmed up makes for a more pleasant morning.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by northgator8
The run time is programable - find the instruction manual online (any Mopar product seems to have the same programing features if the year is correct) and follow the instructions.

You can restart up to three times (I needed that this morning since it was 23C below!). I can start mine from the 4th floor office window at work without any trouble. As stated earlier, the hardest thing is to remember to leave the fan/heat/defrost all on high! Even if you forget, having the engine warmed up makes for a more pleasant morning.
Programmable... tell me more? Mine only allows 2 restarts or so I thought.

I am with you though on the distance. I havent had an issue and my truck is a good 3-400 feet from the office building. Distance has never been an issue for me; however the remembering to turn the fan on is the issue.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DakotaAgain?
By OEM do you mean as a factory option or just dealer installed later on? I do worry about people messing with my electrics.
I would go with hte OEM Option, Having a Dealer might not do a effective job on aftermarket, and it COULD potentially void your warranty aswell. OEM shouldnt affect warranty

Quick Reply: That time of the year again: remote starters