3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

finally free

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM
bstrada
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation finally free

3 gen dakota 4.7 rough idle.....i changed the plugs to autolite 3923's as most suggested, cleaned the throttle body but it still idles rough. I did not clean the iac motor yet. i did the simple reset of ecm buy grounding the neg cable etc but i didnt do a "full dump" which i found on this site but cant it again any suggestions?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

What codes are you getting? I'm not even sure why you are even resetting the ECM in the first place. A bad iac will send off a code, usually and plus your idle will go up and down a lot and be all over the place. If you could describe in better detail of what's happenning that would be better. A rough Idle can be as simple as a gasket seal on the intake plenum or something even smaller.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 AM
bstrada
Default rough idle

the reason i cleared the ecm because when i changed the plugs the engine light came on it is only at 600rpm idle it stumbles a bit i am reading i can clean the iac motor but i am curious if i can clean the tps ubit also. this truck is completely stock and even had factory champions in it. repalced with autolights 3923's any thoughts on cleaning both iac and tps i dont have a scanner but the engine light went out after i cleared the ecm

Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

You don't need a computer just set your ignition with key to on-off- on -off-on the engine codes will flash on your instrument cluster where your mileage should be. If it idled fine before the plugs it should idle fine after. Write the codes down then look for the appropriate codes description on the page I provided.

When you reset a computer your miss can go undetected for several cycles and pop back up again down the road. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

If you aren't pulling any codes yet just try to reset the plugs and check certain spark related areas to be sure it is all okay.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 AM
bstrada
Default rough idle

Thanks for the resonce it had a rough idle before i started i thought removing the Champions would have done it. Think ill try cleaning the iac and the tps thanks for the tip to get any codes

Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Moved to correct forum.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bstrada
Thanks for the resonce it had a rough idle before i started i thought removing the Champions would have done it. Think ill try cleaning the iac and the tps thanks for the tip to get any codes
An IAC is a stepper motor and you should be careful in trying to clean it. If you pull it apart for any reason, it will not operate. The TPS is a precision variable resister & there isn't much to clean. You can't clean much on it other than the outside. Get the codes, this will give you the best indication of what's wrong - a lot of parts suppliers will give you a free code reading, it helps their sales.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 AM
bstrada
Default rough idle

Thanks A. i dont know the procedure to get the code to display on the dash. I know there is a sequence of turning the key on and off but im not exactly sure how do it. would anyone know how? Thanks

Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting the diagnostic codes with your key is described in lots of places, including this forum. Here's an example of one such site that gives you the procedure as well as the codes. If you drive past any auto parts outlet, such as NAPA, they will usually plug one of their scanners into your truck and read the codes for free - they will also give you free consultation on what you'll need to fix the problem as well as the cost for the parts. This is a pretty good start, it gives you a fair amount of info that you can use if you decide to take it to a garage.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm trying to figure out what the title of this thread is supposed to mean? Like has been stated, go to an autozone or someplace like that and have the codes read. Your chasing your tail until you get the codes. Heck, you can get yourself a cheap OBDII reader from walmart. It will pay for itself the first time you use it. IMO, no toolbox should be without one.

Quick Reply: finally free