3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dangerous Potential Brake Issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dangerous Potential Brake Issue.

Guys I have to Share this,

When i was pulling my brakes apart to service the rear axle, I noticed something particular about one of the brake cylinders and it wasnt until after I looked at it for a moment that i figured out what was wrong. the Shoe had slipped from the tip of the Brake Cylinder Piston, so I was only using 1 Brake shoe on the back right wheel, Im positive that this had been this way for a long time because there was a nicely worn hole in the boot. Luckily nothing seemed to happen and I was able to bend the shoe a small amount to make it more centered on the piston however Im concerned that this issue may arise again, I was tempted to weld a tac on the tips of the pistons to keep them from slipping again, but im now replacing the entire assembly so im not worrying about it.

I just thought I should Bring this up and I was curious if anyone else had seen this. The brake cylinder was original but it looks as thought the shoes have been replaced as they were TRW Brand, however that could be what the factory used.

in this picture (not our brakes) Right under the red spring is where the tip of the shoe is and it slipped off of the cylinder.

Has anyone ever seen this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
drumkit.jpg (59.2 KB, 94 views)
Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I have seen that before. I'm pretty sure it was from improper assembly, since I can't imagine any other way for it to happen.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM
cheeseburger
All Star

my guess is someone paid a shifty lube to change the brakes and they goofed it up

Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't weld on the brake cylinder - you'll end up doing serious damage to the seals. I would check for anything out of line by comparing it to the other side & repair what's wrong.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 PM
cheeseburger
All Star

I said i was thinking about it lol. not to mention the FIRE! brake fluid is flamable (ask me how i know... )

Im replacing the whole rear end and this one will be a core.

i'm going to put the broken gears back in and return my new spiders lol..

Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM
ReDaKate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine slipped off too after i hit the brakes to the floor to keep from hitting a Lexus. The boot on mine blew up and started gushing brake fluid.

Quick Reply: Dangerous Potential Brake Issue.