3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Start up whine 4.7 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM
DM_kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start up whine 4.7 dakota

So when it is cold/or really cold (depending on who you are and where you are from) 15º and down I will go out and start my truck, and get a large whirrrrr for about 2-3 seconds. Like when you are turning the wheel and have low fluis or have a pump going out. I am not hanging on the wheel when I do this, I only reach into the truck and start it.

My pump seems fine, I don't really have bad steering issues or a wobbly wheel. I also have added some Lucas Steering fluid stabilizer. Could my rack and pinion be on its way out?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:10 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

My Camaro does the same thing. The fluid is thickening and the pump is cavitating a bit. Just let it warm up good.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Could it possibly sound like the radiator fan fully-engaged and roaring momentarily? I've noticed it occasionally on the coldest of mornings (South Florida cold), and it's listed in the service manual as normal to hear it on a cold engine:

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - VISCOUS FAN DRIVE NOISE

NOTE: It is normal for fan noise to be louder (roaring) when:
  • The underhood temperature is above the engagement point for the viscous drive coupling. This may occur when ambient (outside air temperature) is very high.
  • Engine loads and temperatures are high such as when towing a trailer.
  • Cool silicone fluid within the fan drive unit is being redistributed back to its normal disengaged (warm) position. This can occur during the first 15 seconds to one minute after engine start-up on a cold engine.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:44 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine does it as well, especially when the high for the day was 0 this past Monday.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did that last winter. I topped off the PS fluid to shut it up..topping it off just adds warm fluid and helps it warm up quicker, doesn't necessarily mean the tank is low. the racks on these trucks are a weak point though..mine leaks from the passenger side inner tie rod boot

Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine has happened occasionally...

Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 AM
DM_kota
Professional

well good to know I am not the only one.

I guess I will move on to the next noise battle I am having

Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Mine does it too, and I had an '03 Liberty that did the same thing. Nothing to worry about.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 AM
skybox
Amateur
Default another possibility

I just recently solved a weird humming/vibrating noise that abruptly started this winter after a long road trip. my symptoms are a bit different than what you describe because my noise would only happen just after initial cold start in the morning or after work in the evening when i would push on the brake and shift into reverse or drive. what i finally discovered was that if i set the parking brake and released the foot brake after making the shift it wouldn't make any noise, this led me to believe the problem was not in the transmission but possibly my abs pump. I noticed the brake resevoir was looking low so i topped it off and it hasn't made a sound since. Anyway, its cheap and easy to top of the brake fluid if it looks a little low while your adding lucas to the power steering.

Originally Posted by DM_kota
So when it is cold/or really cold (depending on who you are and where you are from) 15º and down I will go out and start my truck, and get a large whirrrrr for about 2-3 seconds. Like when you are turning the wheel and have low fluis or have a pump going out. I am not hanging on the wheel when I do this, I only reach into the truck and start it.

My pump seems fine, I don't really have bad steering issues or a wobbly wheel. I also have added some Lucas Steering fluid stabilizer. Could my rack and pinion be on its way out?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I always thought it was the A/C which has to come on whenever the defrost is on - which at -24 deg C is the default.

Why can't MoPaR allow an over-ride on the the A/C? At anything below -10C, I don't need to reduce the moisture in the air, I need to reduce the cold in the air! I agree that sometimes I do need to remove the moisture, but I can make that call myself!

Quick Reply: Start up whine 4.7 dakota