3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Quietest Exhaust for 3.7 L (2011)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 AM
DownOnThePharm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quietest Exhaust for 3.7 L (2011)

So I've tried a Magnaflow single in dual-out, hated that one. (have the muffler and two tailpipes with tips in case anyone is interested).

So then I had a Dynomax Super Turbo (single in, dual-out) installed, and that one sounds great at idle, but once you get to 2000 rpms it just gets that sorta high pitched tone that I want to get rid of.

Now I know a V6 is a V6, and I accept that. I just want something that's just slightly louder than stock. It seems from my research that the dyno Super Turbo is about the mildest, is there another that I may be missing though?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

I had a thrush turbo on my Ram, not too loud, could barely hear it while driving, but it did add a nice low tone that was not really that loud. Can't beat the price either, it was around $30.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, I'm not really sure that there is a muffler that is going to do what you are asking for. My suggestion is to keep your Dynomax super turbo, and add a resonator to quiet it down. Tones are achieved by muffler selection, but also with resonators. Our factory exhaust was a joke (two resonators, one BIG muffler). When I did the exhaust on my 3.7L, I cut the exhaust right behind the front resonator and fired it up open. Those little resonators quiet the tones significantly. I was actually contemplating returning the muffler and straight piping the rest of the exhaust and keeping the front factory resonator. But, it was too raspy for me while driving.

So, I would toss on a resonator and see if that gives you the tones over 2K that you are looking for.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 PM
DownOnThePharm

Sooo apparently I picked the worst two exhaust shops in my hometown to take my truck to. Went to a different, pretty reputable shop today, and he recommended a Magnaflow 18'' with 2 1/2 in and 2 and 1/4 out, which is what he says he typically puts on V6's. I said I went with Magnaflow first off and didn't like it. He says the dumba*ses probably used a 14 inch muffler instead. Sure enough I get home and measure it and it is a 14 inch.

Wants $395 for everything, muffler, installation, tips etc. Still not sure I'm sold on the Mag..... might see if we can do a Mag 18'' with a resonator.......any thoughts?

Old 01-25-2013, 06:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

The muffler alone is @$120, so your adding $275 for installation, tips, etc. You already have the pipes and tips so why would you need to buy them again? Why not just replace the muffler? If that's all they are doing, I would shop around, that's expensive.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

I highly disagree with their choice in muffler. From the "y" back, your factory exhaust is 2.5". Why would they neck it down to 2.25"? Our engines have enough trouble making power. Anyone who says "that's what I normally do for a V6" honestly doesn't know the first thing about application or performance.

Like mentioned above, their price is ridiculous.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Paulinations
Professional

my biggest fear (having the V6) is that I'll get that high pitch when I finally do exhaust. I wish I could make mine sound like the 4.7 with out buying a new truck or throwing the bigger option in...

I was planning on magnaflow because of clips I've heard on Youtube...we'll see now...

and now to thread jack:
donkeypunch: have you updated your y-pipe? I was thinking that might be a good way to go to improve all the restrictions from our exhausts...

Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Paulinations
my biggest fear (having the V6) is that I'll get that high pitch when I finally do exhaust. I wish I could make mine sound like the 4.7 with out buying a new truck or throwing the bigger option in...

I was planning on magnaflow because of clips I've heard on Youtube...we'll see now.
Keep wishing. Until you grow two more cylinders it will never sound like a 4.7.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 AM
DownOnThePharm

So I ended up just forgetting about the dual outs and picked up another dynomax super turbo, this time much bigger, with 2.5 in and one 2.5 out. Now it sounds only slightly louder than stock, through all RPMs, which is what I was going for anyway at this point. I also know they start to get a little louder over time as they break in, so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with this one.

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by Paulinations

I was planning on magnaflow because of clips I've heard on Youtube...we'll see now...

and now to thread jack:
donkeypunch: have you updated your y-pipe? I was thinking that might be a good way to go to improve all the restrictions from our exhausts...
I will take some video of mine, so you can hear the tones. It won't do you any justice for how "loud" it seems.

As far as the Y pipe, mine is stock. In order to fix the Y pipe the "right" way, one would want to invest in some quality pieces. For the $, it would be more advantageous for me to purchase the tuner. But yes, I will end up fixing the y pipe f*ckery.

Quick Reply: Quietest Exhaust for 3.7 L (2011)