3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dealer cant fix my stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by niken023
I am not sure what the code is reading? It is going back to them tomorrow I will try and find out. I did speak to them today and mentioned the crank sensor again and they are going to put that in tomorrow. I guess it couldnt hurt? I will share what I find out. Thanks for the replies.
I would print out what dodgecares posted and show the ...ahem... "technicians" at the dealer you are using

Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I would print out what dodgecares posted and show the ...ahem... "technicians" at the dealer you are using
They can reference the case number via their Chrysler computer and view the entire case including instructions.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 PM
niken023
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I went back to them today and showed them everything that has been discussed in this forum and they still tend to not agree. They did step up today and give me a loaner so they could drive my truck around for a couple of days (not sure what that will prove?) I will let you all know as soon as I hear more.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:10 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

My two cents: Never print out a forum page and show it to "technicians", whether they be computer techs at a computer store, vehicle techs at a dealership, or waste disposal techs at a recycling facility. All it does is increase their frustration with you.

If anything, copy and paste a post into a word document or notepad and print that out, and tell them you got it from a Chrysler technician you have been in communication with (rather than a Chrysler technician from a forum).

Technicians tend to frown on people who take advice from a forum or anything on the interwebs, because for every one person who has a legitimate point, there are 10 idiots out there, so they tend to brand them all as idiots.

I hate to say it, and I hope I am wrong, but I am almost willing to bet good money that you go back in and they either haven't touched the truck and say they still can't figure it out, or they ran a couple quick tests and one or two drive-arounds and tell you they have no idea. Dealerships like this one sounds to be, rarely get better with pushing.

I would take it to an entirely different dealership and start over.

Last edited by jasonw; 01-29-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

I agree with Jason about taking a copy of the forum into the dealer.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM
niken023

Well drove home in the loaner car. Once I got home the dealer called and they said they received the codes and it came back Map sensor and throttle body sensor. So they put new ones in, now this will be the 3rd map sensor that they put in. Now here is what I have a feeling they are going to say as far as the throttle body sensor is concerned. Which is also new, but I put that in myself and it is not an OEM factory but rather one that I bought from Advanced Auto Parts. Maybe that was bad??

As far as printing the forum I do agree to some extend. I also am a professional in my trade, but I also listen to others if I am obviously stumped by something. I am just shocked at all of this, thinking I was best off bringing this to a dealer that works on Dodges all the time, rather than just any auto repair shop. (Not taking away anything from any other repair shops)

I will keep you all tuned......

Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Agreed, not necessarily a bad thing to listen to others when you are stumped, glad you are one of those. However, especially in a retail or customer service setting, people in general always think they know more than everyone else around them, including the technician. Customer service and retail, depending on the day they are having, sometimes assume you are one of those, rather than an informed consumer.

Definitely keep us tuned, hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Well drove home in the loaner car. Once I got home the dealer called and they said they received the codes and it came back Map sensor and throttle body sensor. So they put new ones in, now this will be the 3rd map sensor that they put in. Now here is what I have a feeling they are going to say as far as the throttle body sensor is concerned. Which is also new, but I put that in myself and it is not an OEM factory but rather one that I bought from Advanced Auto Parts. Maybe that was bad??

As far as printing the forum I do agree to some extend. I also am a professional in my trade, but I also listen to others if I am obviously stumped by something. I am just shocked at all of this, thinking I was best off bringing this to a dealer that works on Dodges all the time, rather than just any auto repair shop. (Not taking away anything from any other repair shops)

I will keep you all tuned......

I would have 2 questions. When did the problem start compared to when you installed the throttle body sensor from Advanced and if you put it in prior to taking it to the dealer, did you let them know it was recently replaced?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 AM
niken023

Chris,

I put the throttle body sensor in, I believe in the summer last year? They knew there was a new one in there and thats why they havent changed it the first time it came in on the code. The person I have been dealing with at the dealership has been awesome and very professional. He called me this morning to report he drove it home and it ran like a champ. (I did remind him it was only one night.) He will be using it again today to see if it happens. I am still hoping that I can get some kind of a credit or refund for the new computer that was put in if in fact that was not the issue?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Chris,

I put the throttle body sensor in, I believe in the summer last year? They knew there was a new one in there and thats why they havent changed it the first time it came in on the code. The person I have been dealing with at the dealership has been awesome and very professional. He called me this morning to report he drove it home and it ran like a champ. (I did remind him it was only one night.) He will be using it again today to see if it happens. I am still hoping that I can get some kind of a credit or refund for the new computer that was put in if in fact that was not the issue?

Ok. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Dealer cant fix my stalling