3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dealer cant fix my stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM
niken023
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer cant fix my stalling

Help, my 2006 4.7 Dodge Dakota has been stalling for alittle over a month now. While I am driving all of a sudden the engine light pops on and the truck is completely dead. I coast to the side of the road, put it in park and it starts right up and the engine light remains on. I have brought it to the Dodge dealer (5 times) this is what they have done to it so far; the first time a tune up, the second time a new map sensor, the third time another new map sensor, the fourth time a fuel injection cleaning and now they installed a new PCM. Guess what it just stalled out on me again. What are they not doing or what more can I do?

Thanks guys could really use your help this is getting pretty dangerous when it stalls out in traffic.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 AM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried taking it to a second dealer to get another opinion?

It could also be an issue with a crankshaft position sensor. Ive had a kia that had a similar issue because the Crank sensor was bad.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
niken023

I did not bring it to a second dealer. I did call the dealer I bought it from and he did mention the crank sensor. I mentioned this to the dealer that had been doing all this work and he said no, it wouldnt be that. I think I am going to assist they replace that and at their expense seeing I already put so much into it.
Thanks

Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
niken023

Would that also fix the hesitation I some times get when I take off??

Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Possibly

Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by niken023
Help, my 2006 4.7 Dodge Dakota has been stalling for alittle over a month now. While I am driving all of a sudden the engine light pops on and the truck is completely dead. I coast to the side of the road, put it in park and it starts right up and the engine light remains on. I have brought it to the Dodge dealer (5 times) this is what they have done to it so far; the first time a tune up, the second time a new map sensor, the third time another new map sensor, the fourth time a fuel injection cleaning and now they installed a new PCM. Guess what it just stalled out on me again. What are they not doing or what more can I do?

Thanks guys could really use your help this is getting pretty dangerous when it stalls out in traffic.

Niken,

Is the engine light code coming up as P0688? If so, there is a case the dealership can reference that may pertain to the issue. Case below.

Case Number: S1218000002
Release Date: 01-27-2012

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Intermittent Engine Die Out

Customer may experience a die out, stall condition at any speed while driving or while at a stop. The engine usually restarts right away on a crank attempt. The symptoms may also be described as the engine appearing to lose power with a report that it restarts by itself. They may also be described as a missing, bucking or hesitation. Symptoms may also be accompanied by a MIL on with DTCs set. The actual DTCs may vary, however P0688 - ASD Relay Sense Circuit Low is usually set in PCM with possible power-up-at-speed or loss of communication DTCs set in various modules.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was there any cause or recommended repair given for the above Case?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

There is but is involves hooking up a data recorder. If certain parameters are met it suggest a bad plug (which they have already replaced according to the poster) or a bad coil. Which it recommends replacing one and then moving it until problem is solved or all have been tried.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM
niken023

I am not sure what the code is reading? It is going back to them tomorrow I will try and find out. I did speak to them today and mentioned the crank sensor again and they are going to put that in tomorrow. I guess it couldnt hurt? I will share what I find out. Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by niken023
I am not sure what the code is reading? It is going back to them tomorrow I will try and find out. I did speak to them today and mentioned the crank sensor again and they are going to put that in tomorrow. I guess it couldnt hurt? I will share what I find out. Thanks for the replies.
A new crank sensor won't hurt. I had the stalling situation on my 05 4.7 and did find some articles relating to the plug/coil replacement and took out my plugs & found that the gaps were about 20 thou oversized. I changed the plugs and all the low rpm stalling went away. I thought I had it fixed, but it stalled once since then, while cruising on the highway, so I might give the coils change approach a try once things warm up around here to make wrenching a bit more palatable.

I'm surprised that they changed the MAP twice, normally when that fails, the engine runs really bad, especially at anything over 2000 rpm. You also normally get a whole bunch of codes with a MAP failure, the one for the MAP, you could also have things like the cam sensor, knock codes, transmission codes, and others that pop up because the MAP is really critical in all the timing calculations. Also, with a MAP failure, you would have a really hard time starting the engine after it stalled. To me, your stalling sounds like a crank or cam sensor (or it's input - the fault could be in the harness) data failure - the computer would completely loose timing and crank/cam positioning information and would shut down to avoid damage.

Quick Reply: Dealer cant fix my stalling