3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Another tow button question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 PM
djsilver
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu3P0ny
Yeah, I messed with the button while towing 450 mile trip for a camping trip, and it does work. I really think I need gears though. That's what it comes down to.
Also thinking of that 08+ intake swapped on here but I don't know if that will hurt or help things.
Perhaps 4.10 gears (3.55 currently) and the intake will be sufficient but we are also looking at getting a new vehicle this next year, either hers our mine.
Looking at swapping out to a diesel Grand Cherokee (2014) or an F150 crew.
I know the 05's have all the torque early which is why I thought gears AND the intake.
-You need the gears. My '06 had the 3.55 gear and it had legs but no ***! I got better mileage towing my race car on an open trailer at 85MPH than I did at 65MPH. I switched to the 3.92 gear and have been much happier.

-I looked at the dyno charts on the 08+ engines and it appears that all the extra go-juice is north of 4,000rpm. That's not where I want to tow.

-A set of shorty headers will help a lot. The dyno charts with my Doug Thorley headers showed 19HP and 38ft/lbs torque at 2,800rpm. I could really feel the difference in the 2-3,000rpm range where the engine does most of its duty. The Thorley headers are NLA but there are others from Gibson, etc, that will do the job.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Blu3P0ny
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ihck... gears are NOT cheap for these trucks. My mustang it was a simple task of just running on ebay or something for a set and installing them next week with an install kit from the local shop or something.

These trucks, not so much. And I have to do the front as well.. BLAH
I know, I know....
Currently unemployed until spring, and truck is over 120k with hard use so we will see what happens with it. I"d love to install the gears, but we will see what it all brings.
The 4x4 is a mess with the headers from what I've read as well...
Just replaced the bolts on one side, but didn't crack it loose from rest of exhaust... rust is horrid around Chicago due to the massive amounts of salt.

Quick Reply: Another tow button question...