3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Another tow button question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Blu3P0ny
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another tow button question...

Since the other thread I was looking at kinda got jacked into a stupid mirror thread...
I do NOT have the tow package.
I have installed a large transmission cooler
I have installed same diameter exhaust, just with only one muffler
I have installed an intake
I have the superchips in tow mode
I turn use the tow mode button on the shifter....

But my question is basically, since i don't have the tow package, is that button really doing nothing?
I am pretty sure it goes into overdrive when towing.
I accelerate just wonderfully, because it's proper RPM, like 2k-3k.
But as soon as I start coasting, it ALWAYS wants that extra gear, and i can't tow a boat or 24' camper with the engine at 1200 rpms.

From the other thread:
Originally Posted by ericemery
This may be asking the obvious, but does your truck have the towing package? that button needs "turned on" by a dealer if you dont have the tow package or off road package.

(I dont know anything about your truck, just trying to help narrow down some of teh often overlooked things.)
I would think that this may make a difference if there is different aspects to this thing? It effects it, seems to maybe prolong the shifting, but it may be the superchips also...
ADVISE PLZZZZ k thx

Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu3P0ny
But my question is basically, since i don't have the tow package, is that button really doing nothing?
I am pretty sure it goes into overdrive when towing.
I accelerate just wonderfully, because it's proper RPM, like 2k-3k.
But as soon as I start coasting, it ALWAYS wants that extra gear, and i can't tow a boat or 24' camper with the engine at 1200 rpms.
It might feel like it's still going into overdrive after the third gear shift, but it's just the torque converter going into lock-up. (Your fourth and fifth gears are both overdrives, and become locked out with the switch.)

SWITCH-TOW/HAUL OVERDRIVE

DESCRIPTION
The tow/haul overdrive OFF (control) switch is located in the shift lever arm. The switch is a momentary contact device that signals the PCM to toggle current status of the overdrive function.

OPERATION
At key-on, overdrive operation is allowed. Pressing the switch once causes the tow/haul overdrive OFF mode to be entered and the Tow/Haul lamp to be illuminated. Pressing the switch a second time causes normal overdrive operation to be restored and the tow/haul lamp to be turned off. The tow/haul overdrive OFF mode defaults to ON after the ignition switch is cycled OFF and ON. The normal position for the control switch is the ON position. The switch must be in this position to energize the solenoid and allow a 3-4 upshift. The control switch indicator light illuminates only when the tow/haul overdrive switch is turned to the OFF position, or when illuminated by the transmission control module.

TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH (TCC)
In a standard torque converter, the impeller and turbine are rotating at about the same speed and the stator is freewheeling, providing no torque multiplication. By applying the turbine’s piston and friction material to the front cover, a total converter engagement can be obtained. The result of this engagement is a direct 1:1 mechanical link between the engine and the transmission. The clutch can be engaged in second, third, and fourth gear ranges depending on overdrive control switch position. If the overdrive control switch is in the normal ON position, the clutch will engage after the shift to fourth gear. If the control switch is in the OFF position, the clutch will engage after the shift to third gear.
Also, no, the switch does not need to be "turned on" at the dealer if you don't have the tow package. The only thing "disabled" is the "TOW/HAUL" dash indicator if you have the manual transmission.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
dimesismoneytoo
Professional

My question for you would be, when you hit the button what on the cluster lights up? O/D OFF or TOW/HAUL? With mine I have TOW/HAUL and mine goes through all gear and goes into O/D. Also, what engine do you have, because there are two different transmissions depending on engine size.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dimesismoneytoo
My question for you would be, when you hit the button what on the cluster lights up? O/D OFF or TOW/HAUL?
Not sure if you were referring to myself or the OP, but as far as I know, "O/D OFF" ended with 2nd Gen. Beginning in 2005 with 3rd Gen, it shows "TOW/HAUL", regardless of tow package. From the 2005 manual:

TOW/HAUL INDICATOR

DESCRIPTION

A tow/haul indicator is standard equipment on all instrument clusters. However, on vehicles not equipped with the optional overdrive automatic transmission, this indicator is electronically disabled. The tow/haul indicator is located below the minor gauge set on the left side of the cluster.
Originally Posted by dimesismoneytoo
With mine I have TOW/HAUL and mine goes through all gear and goes into O/D. Also, what engine do you have, because there are two different transmissions depending on engine size.
Regardless of transmission (42RLE attached to the V6, or 545RFE attached to the V8s), TOW/HAUL locks out the trans after third gear. (Fourth gear on the 42RLE is overdrive, as is fourth and fifth gears on the 545RFE.) However, it will still go into torque-converter lockup, which can feel like it's still going into overdrive.

A definitive way to tell if it is actually still going into overdrive or not is to hold a constant speed where overdrive would normally be engaged (say, 50mph), and click the TOW/HAUL button. Do you get the "TOW/HAUL" indication but not a downshift? If so, you have a problem.

Or, go through a normal acceleration, let the speed stabilize at 50mph, and note the RPM. Then, come to a stop, click the button to see the "TOW/HAUL" indication, then accelerate again to 50mph. Let the speed stabilize, then note the RPM. If the RPM values are the same, you have a problem. If it's higher with "TOW/HAUL" shown, you'll know the TOW/HAUL mode is working properly.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 PM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like the OP, I do NOT have the tow package but DO have the tow/haul button. BUT when I push mine, the dash light comes on and I can feel, hear and see the difference. Feel- it gears down...Hear-the engine revs up a little...See-the tach jumps maybe 2 or 3 hundred rpms.
You can also try this, if your cruising along the interstate and find yourself gaining on someone, let off the gas and press the button. You should see the RPM's go up and feel the truck slow down. If not then something is wrong.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Blu3P0ny
Professional

I messed with it a little bit on the highway on the way home today.
If I am cruising at 65 and hit the button, it does rev up.
The 5 speed trans auto btw. Tow/Haul light comes on.
I guess it would just be more drastic than that though. I really could use a set of gears.
With the button engauged, overdrive OFF, I'm at like 2k rpm at 70 mph. That's ridiculous.

I wonder if I can get it to shift a little better with the transmission tuning for 3rd and 4th gears. so it holds it out for just a bit longer....
I mean, this trailer is only 4000 lbs but my boat really makes it struggle to keep in the 60-65 mph range. I drop it down to 50-55 and downshifts to third, shoots up to 60-65 again, and then catches 4th... not enough to pull in 4th, so it drops back down to 55ish, and downshifts... the whole trip.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 AM
dimesismoneytoo
Professional

Originally Posted by erau
Not sure if you were referring to myself or the OP, but as far as I know, "O/D OFF" ended with 2nd Gen. Beginning in 2005 with 3rd Gen, it shows "TOW/HAUL", regardless of tow package. From the 2005 manual
You can have the computer flashed by the dealer to use the O/D OFF light in the cluster though. What gets me is why have two separate lights that perform the same thing. I have a brand new 545RFE in my truck and TOW/HAUL does nothing more than lengthen the time between gear shifts. It might knock out 5th gear which is really 4th if you want to get technical, but it seems to drive the same.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
djsilver
Professional

This is from the 2006 Dakota owner's manual. It says "5th gear (if equipped) is disabled and 2-3 and 3-4 shift patterns are modified". That means both the 545rfe (5-speed) and the 42rle (4-speed) in tow/haul mode, will run in 4th gear (with torque converter in lockup mode) in steady state conditions. For the 42rle then, there's no difference in RPM for tow/haul "on" or "off" in steady state conditions. For the 42rle, that means that the tow/haul mode only modifies the 2-3 and 3-4 shift pattern. The 42rle programming may more sensitive to what's considered "steady state", resulting in it unlocking the torque converter or downshifting to 3rd easier, but that's not discussed in this section.

"When operating in “TOW/HAUL” mode, 5th gear (if
equipped) is disabled and 2-3 and 3-4 shift patterns are
modified. Shifts into Overdrive (4th gear) are allowed
during steady cruise (for improved fuel economy) and
automatic closed-throttle downshifts to 3rd gear (for
improved braking) will occur during steady braking.
The “TOW/HAUL” light will illuminate in the instrument
cluster to indicate when the switch has been
activated. Pressing the switch a second time restores
normal operation. If the “TOW/HAUL” mode is desired,
the button must be pressed each time the engine is
started."

Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 AM
djsilver
Professional

With respect to the "Tow/Haul" light versus the "OD off" light; It would make sense if they're using the same instrument cluster in the Ram, since the button has two distinct functions (and two dash lights) for the Ram.

On the Ram, pushing the button once gives "Tow/Haul" mode with modified 2-3 and 3-4 shifting, and is limited to 4th gear (.76 OD) + torque lock-up, but not 5th (.67 OD).
Pushing the button a second time gives the "OD off" mode, which further limits the transmission to 3rd gear (1:1).

I've observed in my Dakota (w/545RFE) that there's less than 200rpm difference between 4th and 5th gears, or between torqe converter lockup and no-lockup, in either gear.

Last edited by djsilver; 02-21-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Blu3P0ny
Professional

Yeah, I messed with the button while towing 450 mile trip for a camping trip, and it does work. I really think I need gears though. That's what it comes down to.
Also thinking of that 08+ intake swapped on here but I don't know if that will hurt or help things.
Perhaps 4.10 gears (3.55 currently) and the intake will be sufficient but we are also looking at getting a new vehicle this next year, either hers our mine.
Looking at swapping out to a diesel Grand Cherokee (2014) or an F150 crew.
I know the 05's have all the torque early which is why I thought gears AND the intake.

Quick Reply: Another tow button question...