3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

swaybar removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Neil Hall
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swaybar removal?

Has anyone on here tried removing their front swaybar on their 3rd gen?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed mine, felt no difference besides the truck steering got a float feeling, and the truck leaned more on turns. I have put it back on and happier with it.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I removed both. I will never put them back on.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sway bars stabilize the body over the road and a lot of off-roaders remove these to give the axles more articulation. On the road, the vehicle drives like a boat without them (my opinion), that's why they have "quick disconnects" for the off-roaders to have the best of both worlds.

If you remove them and at some point have an accident, the insurance co. could possibly deny the claim since these bars are considered part of the safety configuration.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Neil Hall
Professional

removed mine just now because of this.. clearly energy suspension products suck.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Photo0382 (2).jpg (91.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Neil Hall
Professional

Originally Posted by Neil Hall
removed mine just now because of this.. clearly energy suspension products suck.
just got back from a test drive.. ride is much more comfortable but there is a ever so slight loss of stability in normal corners, so small that most wouldn't notice. however I decided to do some "quick lane changes" just to see, and yes there is a lot more body roll but nothing that really bothers me. I'm just going to leave it off until spring time comes, then I'll see what I can do. The reason I think it's not too bad is mainly because the coil springs in the front of our trucks are much bigger than they really need to be, hence they compensate for lack of a swaybar. in my opinion...

Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

take off the front sway bar and install some fox coilovers and hit the corners and watch the front tire come off the ground. makes the girls wet hahaha

Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfons
If you remove them and at some point have an accident, the insurance co. could possibly deny the claim since these bars are considered part of the safety configuration.
Maybe in Canada, but that's not the way insurance works in the United States. They'll pay the claim regardless of your stupidity, then cancel your coverage. If insurance companies didn't have to pay any time their insured did something dumb, there would be no point in even having insurance.

Not trying to pick on you, BTW. I just hear that from people once in a while (Your insurance company won't pay out if you're drunk, speeding, texting, scratching your nut hut, or any of an endless number of indiscretions...) and it kinda bugs me.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Neil Hall
Professional

Originally Posted by Tom A
Maybe in Canada, but that's not the way insurance works in the United States. They'll pay the claim regardless of your stupidity, then cancel your coverage. If insurance companies didn't have to pay any time their insured did something dumb, there would be no point in even having insurance.

Not trying to pick on you, BTW. I just hear that from people once in a while (Your insurance company won't pay out if you're drunk, speeding, texting, scratching your nut hut, or any of an endless number of indiscretions...) and it kinda bugs me.
i agree with you , I'm also from Ontario Canada, not all but a lot of the companies won't cover the driver for "illegal" mods, texting/driving ect.. as far as I know they won't cancel it they will just deny you insurance when you go to renew or most likely give you a ridiculously high quote(not that ours is cheap to start with)

imo, I don't think it's worth reporting anything to insurance if you can help it. after all is said and done with, if the car isn't completely totald it's cheaper to pay outta pocket to fix it rather than suffer higher rates for the next 5 years...:/

Old 03-03-2013, 10:13 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

We have had this debate at least once already, maybe twice. If you want to remove the sway bar, do it, drive around awhile and see if you like it. Personally, I liked mine on.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-03-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: swaybar removal?