3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

o7dakQC gettin shocks-then struts - first wanna try an fix a squeek

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013 | 12:15 PM
calixdakota
|
Professional
Default o7dakQC gettin shocks-then struts - first wanna try an fix a squeek

I know theres a few other threads about squeeking - just gonna post this one see what is most recentely going on , if people fixed there squeeking and how- mine happens at low speeds - and when turning the wheels. I can rock the truck by grabbing the door and I dont hear a THING
SO im thinking about putting some RANCHOS on my truck next week, but i might try and lube up a few nuts an bolts or anything that you guys might suggest - some ***** joint - if anyone wants to suggests how i get at them from under the truck thatd be great- and the general area! im sure ill have no trouble finding it- but if you guys wanna go ahead an throw a few ideas at me for where to hit the grease up with - ThANKS
cheers!
CALIX

Old 03-24-2013 | 01:24 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

I used to have a Ram that would do it at low speeds, mostly when turning at low speeds. Turned out to be bad u-joints and ball joints. Unless you have replaced them before, there isn't much to grease. The factory parts don't have zerks on them, they are not serviceable. If you replace them, see if you can get ones with zerks. May cost you a little more, but if you can grease them, they may last you longer too.

Last edited by jasonw; 03-24-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2013 | 08:06 PM
Dragon05
Veteran

I was having the same noises. Just had new tie rod ends, end links, upper control arm bushings and ballpoint replaced with Moog greaseable bushings and the noise is gone.

Old 03-24-2013 | 09:08 PM
calixdakota
|
Professional

sounds likean awfull lota work just for some squeeking. i had my whole front end done about 8 months ago...
***** joints bushing upper lower left rioght control ..
like i was asking, i wants to figure out the parts i should get at with some greese on my truck to give it a shot to stop the squeeking before ithrow it inthe shop to get it looked at ...wheere im sure theyll come up with a load of problems.. i know with these trucks u gotta take care of the front ends cuz as soon as one thing starts goin it leads to the rest of it..
anyway - anyone wanna get at me?
thanks all the same boss!

Old 03-24-2013 | 09:43 PM
calixdakota
|
Professional
Default suspension questions for yall! thanks a million

So I am finally deciding to take care of my ride. I bought it originally for work but im realizing Iwant take care of it and I'll actually get a work horse truck for something at 1/10th of the cost. And beauty..
I wanna do something about my suspension and just wanna try and follow here:

So struts are on the front of Dodge Dakotas, right? And shocks on the back? And they have Rancho struts and shocks?
I'm thinking about putting it in the shop. Should i get some struts put in first or both struts and shocks at same time?
I read a few threads that its pretty simple to put the shocks on yourself?
Anyway, I checked out the shop I go to they have Ranchos..and they will only install when you buy from them..

I'm going top try and take care of some squeeking in the front end. I'm gonna check out my bushing tomorrow morning on my front control arm and maybe try and replace them- if i can figure it out or if you can tell me how..or just lube them up...

But anyhow! Let me know the advantages of either gettin some new struts or shocks!
Thanks alot guys and hope I'm not flooding this forum.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-25-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Corrected grammar and spelling.
Old 03-25-2013 | 08:26 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Calixdakota, please use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when posting. I'm getting a migraine trying to read your posts and understand what it is you are trying to say. Spell check is your friend.

First off, the search button is more valuable than the "precious".

Second off, the search button can iron it's own shirt while wearing it.

Use it, love it, be the search button. So you know, your question is the single most asked question on this entire forum.

Old 03-25-2013 | 08:52 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by calixdakota
sounds likean awfull lota work just for some squeeking. i had my whole front end done about 8 months ago...
***** joints bushing upper lower left rioght control ..
like i was asking, i wants to figure out the parts i should get at with some greese on my truck to give it a shot to stop the squeeking before ithrow it inthe shop to get it looked at ...wheere im sure theyll come up with a load of problems.. i know with these trucks u gotta take care of the front ends cuz as soon as one thing starts goin it leads to the rest of it..
anyway - anyone wanna get at me?
thanks all the same boss!
I am a little confused with this response, if you had the "whole" front end done 8 months ago, then why are you asking us to figure out where your squeaking is coming from? Shouldn't you go back to the shop that did it?

Second point of confusion: you first post indicates that you want to know how to fix the squeak. Your question was asked and answered. Now you are saying "that's too much work for a squeak". Yet, immediately afterwards you are asking if there is a way to magically add grease to a sealed system (assuming you did not rebuild your "whole" front end with components that have grease zerks).

To best fix your problem, you may want to consider giving us more information. To me, if you had the "whole" front end replaced, then why do you have a squeak? My truck didn't do it from the factory, nor does it do it at 130,XXX miles. I feel that you are leaving out critical information, yet not wanting to hear what others have gone through when they answer your question.

If I missed anything, please feel free to elaborate. The first thing I would do is list what parts you replaced in the suspension and steering. Do not reply with "I did the whole thing". Actually give us a list of parts with brands. This might give us an idea at which area to concentrate on.

Old 03-25-2013 | 08:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

LOL at Donkey. I attempted to clean up your thread a bit and will try to answer your questions:

Yes Rancho makes struts and shocks for our trucks. Also Monroe and KYB. Rancho will be the stiffest over stock (and most expensive), Monroes are next and KYB are more like OEM.

If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, you can replace the rear shocks by yourself with a couple of wrenches in less than an hour. Some remove the spare tire for better access, but I did not. You can replace them with the truck sitting on the ground.

Replacing struts is something best left to a shop that has the proper tools. You have to compress the spring to remove it.

Your squeaking front end is most likely ball joints. Replacing just the control arm bushings is next to impossible and I do not believe lubing is possible except for maybe spraying some WD-40 on them and hoping it penetrates to the bushing. I would check the ball joints first. But you would probably need to just replace the entire control arm(s).

My good friend Mr. Donkeypunch does make an excellent point though: The search function is a wonderful thing. There are tons of threads on struts, shocks, control arms, etc. Everything you need to know is right at your fingertips.

I would get a cost estimate before just dropping your truck off. Replacing those struts can get expensive.

Old 03-25-2013 | 09:07 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by jkeaton
LOL at Donkey. I attempted to clean up your thread a bit and will try to answer your questions:
LOL. I seriously just pee'd. I didn't even know you could do this. Your power extends beyond the light of the stars...

Old 03-25-2013 | 09:18 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

My rear end sqeaks and I havent been able to locate it...

Quick Reply: o7dakQC gettin shocks-then struts - first wanna try an fix a squeek