3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

So i got an oil change at a garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013 | 09:33 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

bahahaha, entertaining read... I have nothing...

Old 03-25-2013 | 09:53 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by italiandominator
Hey JKeaton,

. Knowing that you're pretty darn knowledgeable and having high regard for your input and opinions, maybe you can shed a little light on this, because I haven't found much info in my searches.

. The time before last, that I changed my oil (faithful Mobil-1 user) was the first time that I did so after returning home from a year overseas in Afghcrappistan. (<<< if you think it's mean to call Afghaniland that, feel free to comment IF you yourself have spent considerable amount of time there)

This was my third time coming home after an escape from reality (some of you know what I'm talking about) and to no surprise having been gone for that much time I was in the typical "Wow! look at all this new stuff! / What did I miss while I was gone?" mode that is all too common to us service members, especially after multiple deployments.

..... Anywhooooo, I came across this "*All-New*" Mobil-1 Extended Performance.

Never heard of it...so whipping out my brand new iPhone5 <---first smart phone for this guy ever...don't judge... (which reminds me I have a joke about smart phones if you wanna hear) I do a quick google search for reviews and the first couple I came across that seemed objective enough (because we all know they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true, just ask my girlfriend, she's a french model) gave it good reviews.

. So, what the heck I'll try it. (Ok now let's all say it together "What's the worst that could happen?") Now, even though I know some "experts" say that if you use full synthetic you can really go for about 8-10K miles between changes and be just fine (depending on how hard you drive); I've always been a die hard 5K change kind of guy (I was actually OCD enough that way back when, soon after I got my Dak and changed my oil for the first time I saw that I was at 47.8K and went ahead and changed it again at 50K and every 5K since just to keep it easy to remember). I was a lil nervous letting it go a full 15K before I changed it, and don't forget about the filter as well! (I found out later that they also make an EP filter as well, but I didn't see it there at the time and it has been habit to just snag up a MOPAR MO-899 filter (which reminds me, if you think there is any diff in filters and one is better than another, lemme know what you think))

. So, I grabbed 3 filters 6 quarts of EP oil and out I went. It goes without saying I was going nuts watching my odometer go past 5-6-7K miles and not cleaning her pipes (got busy with school and actually forgot to switch the filters, partly because I thought about it a week or so after my purchase as to whether or not you CAN even change the filter without draining everything, so I erased my reminders).

. Once I hit 10K I couldn't take it anymore, plus with the added placebo effect of anytime I felt like my engine was lagging for any reason I was like "UUGGHHH my oil is turning to sludge!" So, under her hood and carriage I went. (Been so long apart from her, it felt like our first time) Didn't notice anything special, EXCEPT when I took off my Oil Filler Cap. Now, when I detail my engine I am like an OCD patient main lining Adderall, making sure everything is spotless, including having all the fluid caps clean as a whistle inside and out (I even have a special dental pick I use to scrape around all the raised lettering). Well, the Filler Cap wasn't just super icky...it was stained BAD! No matter how hard I scrubbed or even with a couple light touches with a plastic rust remover on my Dremel (after two light touches I noticed it was gouging the plastic and of course wasn't gonna risk some flakes of plastic getting in my engine) there was no change, NADDA, the GUNK remained and the yellow plastic was no more. (I could give a good comparable example of what it looked like, but it'd be pretty gross, not appropriate, and also probably offensive to most gay men who like corn on the cob, so I won't go there)

:::: CAN ANY OF YOU TELL YET (THAT HAVE ACTUALLY READ THIS FAR) ::::: :::: THAT I AM BACK IN SCHOOL WRITING A TON OF PAPERS AND HAVE ::::: :::: A SERIOUS CAFFEINE ADDICTION? AGAIN, DON'T JUDGE :::::

. My only thought was that this new oil efffed it up. So, I switched back to my old reliable regular 5W-30 FullSyn and promised myself I'd never switch again.

. So, what do you know about this extended performance stuff and would you (or any of you that have suffered through my epic post reply) ever consider using it "as directed" and let it go 15K between changes?
Hoooly cow man....I'm still trying to find the actual question amongst all that writing....lol....if you are referring to the discoloration on the oil cap, it's completely normal and caused by condensation in the oil filler tube. Sometimes it actually turns to cheese looking stuff. So, it is harmless (if that is what you are referring to). If your question is about extended oil change intervals, I'll say this: I have been (and still am on my older, higher mileage cars) a diehard 3 month/3k mile oil changer. On my Dak, whcn I switched to full synthetic, I went to 6 months/6 k miles. No longer than that. My OCD would not let me extend it any farther. Some on here change theirs once a year based on sound oil analysis data. My suggestion to you is if it bothers you to extend the interval, go 6k and send in a sample to get it analyzed and see if you can go farther or need to shorten. This will give you peace of mind as your oil change intervals will be based on actual hard data. Oh, and lay off the coffee....

Does this help at all?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mobil1.jpg (42.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg
Mobil1EP.jpg (29.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-25-2013 | 09:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I will merge this with your other oil change thread.

Old 03-25-2013 | 09:56 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

I will say though, I am with Kent, I am a die hard old school 3000 mile dino oil changing fool. I haven't made the jump to Synthetic on the truck or car. My oil cap is slightly discolored to, a brown tint to it.

Old 03-25-2013 | 10:59 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Lol, hope it was at least a bit entertaining...

After having to write several Nursing care plans in the third person using a new version of old english verbage...oh, and keep it in APA format.... speaking out from the heart flows like Niagra Falls.

I like the advice about the cleaner before a change, never occurred to me...other than that sea foam stuff I've seen youtube videos..

.. if you don't mind me going a little further with the routine maintenance advice.

..I recently picked up a couple products that are supposed to help restore, maintain, or extend stuff and if I could pick y'alls formidable gray matter as to if I should either use it or if I'd be better off refilling a lava lamp with it, I'd appreciate it...and also, what do you guys use for this kind of maintenance?

2219DB45-C611-4CB8-AD57-F23320D5803B-7968-000005ACE6C36D4B.jpg

7DC9769F-2551-440E-8284-C45EDFCA52A7-7968-000005ACDE4519E3.jpg

C855B598-CA37-481E-BB9F-1DCA8B24A7F5-7968-000005ACD56E0FB9.jpg

Old 03-25-2013 | 11:02 AM
italiandominator
All Star

oh, and yes, as always your advice helped turn on a few light bulbs and evoked a few "oh, I get it now" moments.

Old 03-25-2013 | 11:47 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I just got done taking two English classes I need to start back to school, one used MLA, the other APA....I'm like wtf is this for???lol

All that stuff is snake oil to me. The only thing I do (and did on my Dak) was run a container of lucas fuel injector cleaner through every 4-5 tankfulls. Personally I would not waste my money on that stuff in the pics.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-25-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2013 | 08:17 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

I swear people don't read anything from the beginning of the thread and just type away.. 05-06 Dakota's 5W-30, 07+ 5W-20..I know the body/engine didn't change until 2008 but the 07's take 5W-20 as well. It is efficiency/emissions bullsh!t. And when in doubt..check the owner's manual or the oil cap (as long as it wasn't replaced ughh).

Old 03-25-2013 | 08:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

lol Steve....you should pay a visit to the 2nd gen Ram section....talk about frustrating!!

Old 03-25-2013 | 09:05 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
lol Steve....you should pay a visit to the 2nd gen Ram section....talk about frustrating!!
I would probably lose it! I've seen the way the redneck Ramheads speak..it gets rather ugly

Quick Reply: So i got an oil change at a garage