3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Removing Resonators?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013 | 12:06 PM
gjmoran
Captain

back on the topic of back pressure.. how do you add back pressure to your exhaust system?

Old 04-23-2013 | 12:57 PM
Tygarys
Amateur

Potato in the tailpipe?

Old 04-23-2013 | 12:58 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by gjmoran
back on the topic of back pressure.. how do you add back pressure to your exhaust system?
Adding back pressure isn't very desirable in most cases. Essentially, back pressure can be looked at as exhaust flow restriction & too much of that will rob power from your engine. There are quite a few factors involved in designing the best exhaust for a vehicle and the main thing to start with is "how will this engine be used". For a "daily driver" vehicle, it isn't possible to get maximum performance in all circumstances, so we need to narrow down what we're willing to live with & in most cases it comes down to things like sound and "balance". By balance, I mean a couple of things - one is putting together a balanced usage picture (or average usage scenario that can be used for things like pipe and header tuning),and another is to ensure that you have balanced flow through both pipes if you use a dual exhaust (the way a V6 works, you don't need to worry about this, but for a V8, a cross-over is beneficial).

Old 07-24-2013 | 09:09 PM
Portmob69

I first only removed the stock muffler and rear resonator and it didn't sound like I wanted it to so I removed the front resonator and what a difference. Remove both or you will most likely be disappointed. I added the Flowmaster super 44 and love the way it sounds and I definitely get better performance than when it was stock.

Old 07-25-2013 | 09:40 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

The bolt on kits eliminate all the resos. and the child sized muffler. They usually start at the y and go back. The seat of the pants difference you may notice after removing them is a shift in the powerband and the way the motor reacted or at least that's what I noticed. And by reaction, I mean a positive reaction, where the truck just felt smoother and pulled a bit harder.

Quick Reply: Removing Resonators?