3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Knock in front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013 | 04:13 PM
rickluc
|
Default Knock in front suspension

I have a 2008 Dakota with a 3.7L, 2 wheel drive, extended cab. I've had a deep knock (thud) in front suspension for a year or two now. It is the most prevailent when I'm making a turn or hit a pot hole. How can I figure out if it is my struts or maybe something else. The front tires are not showing any excess wear different than the back tires. I tryed jacking it up a few months ago and didn't find anything lose. I done know much about the front suspension on a Dodge, I'm a other make man. I did notice while I was under the vehicle, what I would call a wishbone part of the suspension looked like there was a lot of space between it and the actual front axle cross member (if that makes any since)?
I guess my real guestion is, how do I tell if it is the front struts/shocks? Thanks

Old 04-26-2013 | 05:05 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker

You'd probably be better off getting it inspected for free at a shop, then determine if you're up to the job.

Old 04-26-2013 | 08:26 PM
superdak05
Champion

go to the frt fender of the truck and hit it with your thight, give it a good bump, if you hear a funny pop, its your ball joints, they are notorious for breaking away from the control arm, the factory rivets are poop that hold the system together

Old 04-27-2013 | 03:41 PM
CMackATHLETE

Couldbe your strut/struts are shot. I kept hearing a dull knock when going over speed bumps, holes, etc. and it was determined that my strut was blown

Old 04-29-2013 | 07:46 AM
rlucas

How do you determine if a strut is bad? Thnaks

Old 04-29-2013 | 07:48 AM
rlucas

superdak05, I'm assuming you mean pushing at the top of the wheel to make it rock back and forth like checking for bad kingpins? And what do you mean by factory rivets? Thanks

Last edited by rlucas; 04-29-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-02-2013 | 11:32 AM
rlucas

My local Dodge Dealer wants $40 to tell me what the knock is caused by. Would like not to spend that if I could figure out the problem my self. I can fix it my self. Thanks

Old 05-02-2013 | 05:06 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rlucas
My local Dodge Dealer wants $40 to tell me what the knock is caused by. Would like not to spend that if I could figure out the problem my self. I can fix it my self. Thanks
There are lots of shops that do suspension work that will have a look for free - it's part of the cost of doing business, and not all dealerships charge for an evaluation. Even places like Midas or Speedy will probably have a look for free.

Old 05-11-2013 | 08:31 AM
rickluc
|

A follow up. I asked local Dodge dealer about checking out knock in front suspension and they want 40. I just got a coupon from my local Dodge dealer with two options.

oil and filter change and inspection of front suspension components, $28

oil and filter change and multi-point inspection, more money, $34

Is one of these better to find a knock in the suspension than the other?
I usually change my own oil.
Thanks

Old 05-19-2013 | 09:08 AM
rickluc
|

OK I got a coupon for a special on oil change and filter from my local Dodge dealer. Included was a suspension inspection. They said my front sway bar links were bad. I looked and can see the front right one is bad. The service person said it would be $175 to replace both. He said they would have to cut something. It looks like all I have to do is remove the top and bottom nuts off the links and remove. Is he talking about cutting off the nuts because they can't hold the link from turning? Am I missing something here? Looks like a pretty simp[le job to me. Thanks for advice.

Quick Reply: Knock in front suspension