3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Knock in front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013 | 03:09 PM
JoeyDMG
Professional

Unless they're rusted solid or someone welded them together... should just be the two nuts. If you can post a pic of them we might be able to tell you. You could remove the sway bar and therefore the links (some people like it better) or buy aftermarket links like Moog or Raybestos Professional Grade since they're greaseable.

Old 05-19-2013 | 05:13 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Old 05-20-2013 | 05:13 PM
rickluc
|

Originally Posted by JoeyDMG
Unless they're rusted solid or someone welded them together... should just be the two nuts. If you can post a pic of them we might be able to tell you. You could remove the sway bar and therefore the links (some people like it better) or buy aftermarket links like Moog or Raybestos Professional Grade since they're greaseable.
I'm having trouble uploading my pictures. I'm assuming there too big. Can I email them to someone? Thanks

Old 05-21-2013 | 05:19 PM
rickluc
|

Well I got it done. Just changed the right side. Had to remove bolts from bracket on right side of sway bar and push it up to get clearance to remove and replace link.

Got another question. The rods that the tie rod ends screw onto go up into ?. These boots that fasten around these shafts are showing signs of oil leakage. So what does this amount too? Thanks

Old 05-21-2013 | 09:15 PM
italiandominator
All Star

If you're referring to the tapered stem that comes out of the ball joint of the tie rod end...they connect (going in from the bottom and coming out the top) to the steering knuckle; if you have aftermarket tie rod ends (like Moog or something) that are grease-able, the grease that comes out is just from the ball joint itself. Just wipe it off, and after you connect everything back together (using the right torque specs) just add grease to the joint.

Old 05-22-2013 | 08:06 AM
rickluc
|

I didn't explain my self well. I'm talking about the shaft that screws into the tie rod end and goes towards the middle of the vehicle. The shaft I'm talking about goes into a cly. (?) that steers the vehicle. This shaft has a rubber boot clamped on to it. I think this cly. (?) is leaking inside the boot. I want to know what this cly. is called. Is there a way to stop the leaking or do I replace the cly. (?) ? Thanks

Old 05-22-2013 | 03:40 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Originally Posted by rickluc
I didn't explain my self well. I'm talking about the shaft that screws into the tie rod end and goes towards the middle of the vehicle. The shaft I'm talking about goes into a cly. (?) that steers the vehicle. This shaft has a rubber boot clamped on to it. I think this cly. (?) is leaking inside the boot. I want to know what this cly. is called. Is there a way to stop the leaking or do I replace the cly. (?) ? Thanks

That is your steering rack. The thing connected to it is your power steering motor. If it's leaking, it might be power steering fluid, so check your fluid level there first. If it is for sure oil or something, I'm not too sure.

Quick Reply: Knock in front suspension