3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

Oil change indicator

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change indicator

How accurate is the oil change indicator on my 2008 Dakota SLT V8? I've read that in general some engines have sensors that can tell when the oil needs to be changed and some just go by mileage. I was getting my oil changes done at the dealer but now that my warranty is over I am gonna start doing them myself. The dealer last changed my oil at 81,000kms and now I am at 84,000kms and the oil change indicator tells me to change my oil every time I start my truck. Did the dealer forget to reset it last time or is my engine trying to tell me something.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 PM
djibara
Professional

What kind of oil do you use. If dino thrn every 3000 mi. or I use mobil one synthetic 5w30 extended life and change mine every 5000 mi.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie

I'm not sure what they used at the dealer. Probably just basic stuff. I will use synthetic next time but it's only been just over 3000 kms since last change. So that's somewhere around 2000 miles.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

I have that oil change indicator on my Journey and have found that it makes no sense at all. I do my own oil and reset the thing each time. Sometimes it comes on at 2000-2500 miles after reset and one time it never came on even after almost 5000 miles. I dont trust it, so I have an app on my phone that keeps track of oil changes. I just go by that. If you use dino, change every 3 mo/3000 miles. Synthetic can go twice that interval, or more for some folks.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:49 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

OPERATION

The change oil indicator gives an indication to the vehicle operator when a duty-cycle algorithm contained within the software of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines that a recommended oil change interval has been attained. This indicator is controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit based upon cluster programming and electronic messages received over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus from the PCM.
The change oil indicator function of the Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) is completely controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit, and that logic will only allow this indicator to operate when the instrument cluster receives a battery current input on the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit. Therefore, the VFD change oil indication will always be OFF when the ignition switch is in any position except ON or START. The instrument cluster will turn ON the change oil indicator for the following reasons:
  • Change Oil Indicator Lamp-On Message - Each time the ignition switch is turned to the ON position and the cluster receives an electronic change oil indicator lamp-ON message from the PCM indicating that a duty-cycle based recommended oil change interval has been attained, the change oil indicator will be illuminated for about three seconds, until the trip odometer reset switch button is depressed, or until the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, whichever occurs first.
  • Change Oil Indicator Reset Procedure - Once an engine oil change has been completed, the PCM duty cycle counters can be reset using the following procedure. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but DO NOT start the engine. Slowly depress and release the accelerator pedal fully three times within ten seconds. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. If the change oil indicator illuminates the next time the engine is started, repeat this procedure.
The PCM continually monitors numerous sensor inputs to determine the duty-cycles to which the engine is being subjected. A pre-programmed algorithm within the PCM then determines when to send the proper lamp-ON or lamp-OFF message to the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN).
For proper diagnosis of the change oil indicator, the PCM, the EMIC, the CAN data bus or the electronic communication related to change oil indicator operation a diagnostic scan tool is required. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Tygarys
Amateur

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
OPERATION

The change oil indicator gives an indication to the vehicle operator when a duty-cycle algorithm contained within the software of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines that a recommended oil change interval has been attained.
That's odd because on my 2010, it comes on exactly at 2500 miles no matter what. When I first got it I was doing 90% city driving, so sooner changes were expected, but I moved and I now do 90% highway (set the cruise to 5 over the limit and crank the stereo ). It still comes on at 2500. I just use the trip meter to monitor mileage and change at the max recommended 6k with full synthetic.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

I think it's a glorified idiot light that comes on after it's too late...lol

Old 06-03-2013, 02:01 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tygarys
That's odd because on my 2010, it comes on exactly at 2500 miles no matter what. When I first got it I was doing 90% city driving, so sooner changes were expected, but I moved and I now do 90% highway (set the cruise to 5 over the limit and crank the stereo ). It still comes on at 2500. I just use the trip meter to monitor mileage and change at the max recommended 6k with full synthetic.

I agree with your method. As long as you don't go over the max recommended you should do whatever you feel comfortable with on the oil changes. There are so many differing opinions on time,mileage, and what oil to use there is no way everyone will agree.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Rthawk1

I have a 2012 Challenger SXT...just purchased 2 weeks ago with 6100 miles. At 7000 miles the indicator light came on. I went to the dealership and he knew how to reset without going into the bay or writing up a report. He did it so fast I could not keep up. He did say that he depressed the gas peddle 4 times as part of the process for reset. Is it 3 or is it 4 times? He also said it is not written down...so thank you DODGE CARES for doing so.

I always back up oil changes to my trip odometer....never ever had a problem at 4000 mile changes and Kendall GT1 (now Brad Penn) oil in any car.

Quick Reply: Oil change indicator