3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

replacing my radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:24 PM
calixdakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing my radiator

Hey all
just received my radiator I ordered for my 07 Dakota 4.7 v8

mainly concerned about having to bleed the system before replacing it
anyone feel like elaborating that step?
finding it a bit confusing.

I should definitely pick up some new coolant for when I replace it.

but anyone have any links to other threads on this process? either the bleeding the coolant system or a whole step by step tutorial pertaining to replacing a rad?
anyhow. thanks all

Old 06-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I'd suggest:
  • Download the service manual located on this forum in one of the stickies and review the general procedures given in chapter 7.
  • Drain the fluid - in most areas, you'll need to contain this fluid and turn it in where ever they accept household hazardous waste (some old plastic jugs will work).
  • Flush the whole system - there are quite a few videos on-line that show you how to do this. There are Dakota specific and general cooling system flush videos.
  • Once you have nothing but water in the cooling system, drain that and follow the service manual instructions to remove the radiator. Be careful not to damage the transmission cooling tubes/hoses.
  • While you have the radiator out, it would be a good time to change the following:
    • Water pump,
    • Thermostat,
    • Radiator upper & lower hoses. Use new clamps.
  • Install the new radiator following the service manual instructions (it should all be logical - step by step. If something doesn't seem logical, ask for clarification).
  • Get some pre-mixed coolant (get the recommended coolant) and fill the radiator - there are videos on line that will show you how to do this, I usually fill the rad through the rad cap first, then I add fluid to the cold-full level in the overflow bottle. I leave the cap off and start the engine. I check for leaks and then shut off the engine. If there are leaks, fix them, then you'll see that the coolant level has dropped in the rad - fill it again to the top and put the cap on. Start the engine and warm it up then, when you let it cool, the cycle through the overflow bottle should begin. There are some engines that have bleeder screws to get all the air out - I looked at the manual and didn't see any of these, so there's not much more you can do. The idea is that the engine is initially full of coolant of some variety (water in this case), and if you fill the radiator slowly through the rad cap, you'll push out most of the air in that part. Now when you heat the engine up, the fluid will expand and flow through to the overflow bottle. Now when the engine cools, it'll pull coolant into the rad (and the cycle begins) - after a cycle or two, check the bottle level and fill if needed.
  • Don't re-use old hoses, clamps, etc. and don't re-use coolant.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Haynes manual has a fairly good description and pictures of removal and installation of the radiator. It also has a few different approaches to the mine which might be easier for you to follow.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the above, except the pre-mixed coolant part. Get the un-pre-mixed stuff and add sufficient distilled water (@ about a dollar a gallon) so that it is diluted to 50% coolant.

The waterpump doesn't need to be replaced unless it's leaking. The thermostat doesn't need to be replaced unless it's malfunctioning. Probably not a bad idea to replace the rad. hoses--do the heater hoses, too. And always replace your hose clamps with new ones (they do tend to wear out.)

Quick Reply: replacing my radiator