3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rubbing / Vibration when applying brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM
hanslamontagne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing / Vibration when applying brakes

So, I just bought a used '06 Dakota, it had an inspection done and buddy said there was still 50%-75% brake life remaining. Well about a week into driving it this horrible rubbing/sqeaking sound started when applying the brakes. It sounds like it's coming from the front, but I can't be positive as I'm always driving when it happens.

I took a look at the pads and they look about 50% worn so I am unsure what it could be. It seems to get worse after it rains or if it's extremely dry/dusty.

I plan on putting it up on the hoist this weekend but since I am new to the dodge world I wanted to know if this is a typical problem.

Thanks guys!

Hanzo

Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 PM
muddinbill
Rookie

does it sound like a grinding? have you checked the drums? Have you used your E-brake recently? I have had the drums on both of my dakota's I have owned lock up on me on the highway before because they were seized from using an e-brake that was previously hardly ever used.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 PM
hanslamontagne

Actually, grinding isn't really the word I'd use to describe this noise. It actually sounds like a rubbing, and it speeds up/slows down with my speed as I apply the brake. I'm almost wondering if there is something wedged in between the pad and the rotor. I haven't checked the rear drums yet, no. It's an automatic so I haven't used my e-brake ever.

It started up after about a week straight of rain, if it possible for debris to get gummed up in caliper/pad region?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a number of things that could give you similar symptoms, one or both calipers may be partially seized, the rotor could be warped or poorly turned, or the pads may not be loose. All the components work together and any one that's working improperly can give you similar symptoms To really figure out what the problem is, you'd need to take the wheels off and properly inspect the components.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:49 PM
hanslamontagne
Default 06 2wd trx hitting super hard?!

Okay, I know this is my second post of the day but I'm trying to get all these kinks worked out.

I have the TRX 2wd Dakota and when I go over even the smallest bump it rocks the hell out of the whole truck. I thought the TRX was the off roading package? My Jetta takes bumps better than this... is this just how it is or am I looking at getting my suspension replaced? I think it still have the monotube shocks but damn, you wouldn't know!

Thanks!

Last edited by hanslamontagne; 06-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM
hanslamontagne

Originally Posted by Alfons
There are a number of things that could give you similar symptoms, one or both calipers may be partially seized, the rotor could be warped or poorly turned, or the pads may not be loose. All the components work together and any one that's working improperly can give you similar symptoms To really figure out what the problem is, you'd need to take the wheels off and properly inspect the components.
I suppose it could be any of those things, I'll have to pull the wheels off and have a look. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 PM
muddinbill
Rookie

Originally Posted by hanslamontagne
Okay, I know this is my second post of the day but I'm trying to get all these kinks worked out.

I have the TRX 2wd Dakota and when I go over even the smallest bump it rocks the hell out of the whole truck. I thought the TRX was the off roading package? My Jetta takes bumps better than this... is this just how it is or am I looking at getting my suspension replaced? I think it still have the monotube shocks but damn, you wouldn't know!

Thanks!
Welcome to the life of owning a pickup. Not very many pickups ride smoothly. Since there is next to no weight in the rear of pickups the already somewhat stiffer suspension (as compared to a car) becomes less forgiving as there is no load on the rear end. I can feel every tine little crack in the road with my dak and it gets even worse as you get bigger trucks with bigger suspensions.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Thanks!
You cannot compare a car to a truck. There is no way a truck will take bumps like a car. A car is designed for maximum operator comfort. A truck is designed to haul and tow. There may be some things you can do to make it ride better, struts are known to fail early on these trucks. You can replace your TRX (heavier duty) shocks and struts with some decent aftermarket (Monroe are softer than Rancho), but there is really not much you can do otherwise. It's a truck, not a car.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You cannot compare a car to a truck. There is no way a truck will take bumps like a car. A car is designed for maximum operator comfort. A truck is designed to haul and tow. There may be some things you can do to make it ride better, struts are known to fail early on these trucks. You can replace your TRX (heavier duty) shocks and struts with some decent aftermarket (Monroe are softer than Rancho), but there is really not much you can do otherwise. It's a truck, not a car.
+1. Even the newer Rams that have coil springs all the way around will not ride as comfortably as a car. Trucks are made, to some degree, for work.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:39 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, I just bought a used '06 Dakota, it had an inspection done and buddy said there was still 50%-75% brake life remaining. Well about a week into driving it this horrible rubbing/sqeaking sound started when applying the brakes. It sounds like it's coming from the front, but I can't be positive as I'm always driving when it happens.

I took a look at the pads and they look about 50% worn so I am unsure what it could be. It seems to get worse after it rains or if it's extremely dry/dusty.

I plan on putting it up on the hoist this weekend but since I am new to the dodge world I wanted to know if this is a typical problem.

Thanks guys!

Hanzo
Hanzo,

Welcome to the Dodge Forum.

Almost all vehicles will make some type of brake noise. However, if you are having concerns get a second opinion. Like Alfons advised, anything could be causing the noise you are hearing. I do not see any issues with the 2006 Dakota's, but if you would like to PM me your VIN#, I can review to see if there are any recalls outstanding on your vehicle.

Keep me posted.

Quick Reply: Rubbing / Vibration when applying brakes