3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Electrical issue 4.7 05Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013 | 02:42 PM
Freezland
|
Default Electrical issue 4.7 05Dakota

My truck lights flicker.. all of them, inside the truck, dash, headlights & taillights.. Then yesterday i went to start the truck and everything went dead, couldnt even power lock the doors. Unplugged and replugged battery and now truck runs but still flickering lights.

Checked with a friend of mine, he said the CTM (central control module) was bad and its a common issue. Online i find everything on those but on 2004 and older models. Removed kick panel where its at on them and nothing. Called dealership part guy said he never heard of those and wanted to sell me a fuse box for $864 (ouch).

Anyone ever had similar issue and whats the resolution?

Just noticed this went in 2nd gen not 3rd gen dakotas.. sorry

Old 07-22-2013 | 03:22 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

I moved your thread to the 3rd gen Dakota forum.

Old 07-22-2013 | 03:27 PM
Robbadodge
Veteran

Originally Posted by Freezland
Removed kick panel where its at on them and nothing.
Found this on Gen 2, "It is located behind the driver side kick panel by your left foot. Once the panel is off, you will see it mounted there via 3 screws. There are 3 plugs that come out, and its out." Lots of panels under there, maybe you looked behind door number 2 and it is behind door number 1

Not sure if same on 3rd gen. I never changed mine; at that time I needed it replaced, I wasn't doing my own stuff (I am now).

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2013 | 03:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

How old is your battery? How are the connections? Make sure the connections, battery and grounds are good. These trucks are known to do totally weird things from a weak battery/bad connections.

Old 07-22-2013 | 04:25 PM
Freezland
|

On the 3rd gen... there is nothing where it is on the 2nd gen one.. already did battery and alternator test, they are good.. also checked ground on frame and starter.

Old 07-22-2013 | 06:42 PM
Neil Hall
Professional

I would recommend checking the headlight switch itself (corroded connections, or just plain functionality) .. sounds like you got the common basic stuff already looked at..

Quick Reply: Electrical issue 4.7 05Dakota