3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

emergency- Just replaced water pump- now engine shaking and ticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM
calixdakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emergency- Just replaced water pump- now engine shaking and ticking

hey all
was procrastinating replacing my water pump after noticing a leak
I was driving and heard squeeling then temp gauge shot up and then engine light came on
drove another 5 min ..bought water pump and replaced it, now the engine is wobbling back and forth, and there is a new constant ticking noise, and when I turn the engine on there is a snap noise sometimes,
im just googling now some thoughts..
what can anyone here tell me?
any help anyone?
dodge Dakota 2007 4.7 V8.
sparkplugs? coil pack? lifter?
help asap please idont want to drive my vehicle wit this going on
please thoughts and ideas thanks

Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 PM
calixdakota
Professional

+ I was able to replace it withought removing rad or draining anything. hope that didn't have anything to do with it? as the videos I watched online they showed removing it and draining the reservoirs and stuff, I figured that was just making it accessible.
thanks

Old 07-25-2013, 06:33 PM
calixdakota
Professional

+ I can feel the ticking through the gas pedal when I drove it about 100 yards I haven't drove it much since.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Unfortunately, your first mistake was driving it with a leak.

Your second mistake was continuing to drive it after the pump gave out and your truck overheated.

Your third mistake was doing this to a 4.7.

Driving the 4.7 five minutes with no cooling after overheating, i'd wager you've caused some irreparable mechanical damage to the engine. A head gasket at the least.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 PM
calixdakota
Professional

Should I change the oil ? someone suggested that the oil may have been scorched where it all over heated?
it is synthetic, the dip stick seems to show its not too burnt or smelly.
either way - let me know, before I try driving it tomorrow morning I will probably change it and see how far I get with this ticking, the shaking of the engine seemed to stop.
thanks
positive feed back please.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:11 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your motor is toast dude. Huge mistake letting it run over heated like that for 5 minutes. These 4.7 motors hate heat and its common for them to tweak from heat.

Unless you forgot to plug in a silly wire somewhere, my money is on a toasted motor. If no visible leaks external while running make sure you sniff your exhaust as it could be burning internally.

If that's the case.. Serves you right for driving it like that. This should teach you

Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I've heard the 4.7 does not like to be overheated. At all. Dropping valves or something like that. I dont think changing the oil will do anything. You need to get it to a shop and have them diagnose properly.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Anthony Grego
Professional

depending on how early that motor was built it technically coulda been built when Mercedes owned dodge. the 4.7 came from their 4.5. only a few tweaks for the truck market. problem is they used the Mercedes head design with valve seats that are fitted to the heads not machined into them. which means when they get hot they can unseat, warp, fracture, drop out. Mercedes engines absolutely hate hate HATE heat. and since the top of the cylinders are the hottest part of the engine even a little overheat shown on the gauges is a huge heatup on the heads. my vote if the engine isn't shot to hell. the heads are fried, try testing for compression loss on each cylinder, look for cracks, check out your spark plugs for signs of scorching effects on the ceramic.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel for you man, I do. This would devastate me. Once you figure out what's up, (probably a swallowed valveseat and dropped valve) keep in mind there's a 4.7 motor with 76k for sale in utah.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:08 AM
LoCatus
Rookie

Recommend: !DO NOT DRIVE THE TRUCK UNTIL YOU HAVE FIGURED OUT THE ISSUE!
!!Every time you start it, you might just be risking totally destroying the engine!!

In other observations....
O'rielly auto parts will sell you a long block for around $3,600.00
Just the heads are around $500 a pop. But then, you are most likely going to need more than just a re-manufactured head.

Quick Reply: emergency- Just replaced water pump- now engine shaking and ticking