3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

3.7L Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the clamps the come with the kit are NOT meant todo this. This pipe is meant to SLIDE over the Y pipe then the clamp holds them together, Not butted together. I can tell because the clamp is only 1" wide, and if done that way it isnt in the correct spot to use the oem Hanger. (Its 3 inches to far back would work if it slide over tho)

Old 09-27-2013, 03:21 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So it's not flared at all then right?

Perhaps an exhaust shop can flare it for you. Might be less hassle then getting a replacement part from MBRP.

My only guess is that it got overlooked during quality check. MBRP hasn't disappointed anyone before, as far as I know..

Old 09-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by FrenicX
So it's not flared at all then right?

Perhaps an exhaust shop can flare it for you. Might be less hassle then getting a replacement part from MBRP.

My only guess is that it got overlooked during quality check. MBRP hasn't disappointed anyone before, as far as I know..

Correct it wasnt flared at all. was the exact same size as the Y haha.
I did take it to a shop 5 minutes away who flared it for free.
Only "issue" i have now is the dam tailpipe is alot lower then my OEM was. by 2 inches or so it looks atm. Might get the pipe cut shorter and re-flared later on tho. Just got to bolt it all together now.

Emailed MBRP not reply yet tho.

EDIT:
Just check my junk and MBRP did respond saying it should have been expanded, and they would replace it under warranty (or I could have a local shop do it)
Said it would take about a week to replace, and I cant wait haha

Last edited by Reject; 09-27-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Old 09-27-2013, 08:48 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Man, looks sexy. But how does it sound?!

Did you get the t304 stainless or the other one? I know you have a lot of rot issues up there in the salty north.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

I did get the T409 Stainless because of that, will def be worth it in the end. I didnt know how bad my old Muffler was rotted under its heat shield.
So far Ive only moved the truck off the ramps. Outside it does sound loud atm, but could be because the truck accounted for the old low-back pressure one it had, since i drove it for a few weeks like that.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Just had it out and it sound bads, I think there is a high chance I installed my muffler in the opposite direction. (can be done both ways, but one way makes it cause more noise in the cab) and my tailpipe keeps moving down (lower to ground) but isnt loose to hit the ground. Will have to look at both tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:45 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

MBRP has a burnin period too, like magnaflows and other mufflers with wadding in them. The sound will probably change a bit over the next month or so.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

It doesnt mater the direction just check. But have 2 issues, It will NOT go tight at the Y pipe, and also wont go tight at the Tailpipe. I can moved both regardless how tight I get them. I even used a breaker bar on the tail and it still moved.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

ok, so I finally think its all good now. Had to remove the entire exhaust. Cut 3 lines in the Extension pipes at the Y, and do the same thing to the Tail.
Im assuming since they didnt have them, the pipe would "Compress" onto the other pipe well enough to hold good.
The Muffler has the cuts on both ends and held VERY well since the original install was a pain to get loose again (actually couldnt get it off the Over Axle Pipe)

Idle did sound afair bit different to so.

Quick Reply: 3.7L Exhaust