3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

front end still shaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Just mark or count the threads so you know how far to screw the new ones back in. Many will recommend an alignment afterwards. I bucked the trend and did not. Experienced no undue tire wear so I called it good.
I prefer measuring. I never checked the Dakota tie rods, but on other vehicles the length & threaded sections aren't always the same between after market products. I pick a spot on the old one & measure the exposed length & then I screw the new one in leaving the same exposure.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:48 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfons
I prefer measuring. I never checked the Dakota tie rods, but on other vehicles the length & threaded sections aren't always the same between after market products. I pick a spot on the old one & measure the exposed length & then I screw the new one in leaving the same exposure.
Either way. Same concept.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Either way. Same concept.
Ha Ha! When I did my neon, with my then 9-year-old son, I had just started letting him do stuff - backing off the already loose nut, spraying penetrating lube, etc. - and I made it his job to count the turns when I took off the old tie-rod end.

It took a lot of beating and banging and heating and grinding to get it off, but he and I had the same number when it was off.

It was late at night when I got it all back together again and when I headed to work the next morning I knew it was off. I could barely drive the car!

Went directly to the shop and got the first slot - I asked if it was a turn off, and the tech said about a turn and a half!

When I got home that night I gave my son a hard time for not being able to count (then told him I had the same number) but we couldn't explain the "half" Either the replacement was different or the beating and banging rotated it a half on the other end, putting our count off. That's why the measuring is more accurate, if you measure correctly and don't lose the number!

Old 10-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions when I get a chance to do it ill try measuring

Old 10-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional

I got my swah bar links on Friday from napa and I op3n them last night and noticed they come with a grease fitting and a hole for one. But its not threaded for anything and on the paper it comes with it says not to grease were applicable.

So I have a question. Can I thread it and put the grease nipple in or just leave it?

oh and I should mention there life time warranted

Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 AM
northgator8
All Star

Originally Posted by Greatrack2012
I got my swah bar links on Friday from napa and I op3n them last night and noticed they come with a grease fitting and a hole for one. But its not threaded for anything and on the paper it comes with it says not to grease were applicable.

So I have a question. Can I thread it and put the grease nipple in or just leave it?

oh and I should mention there life time warranted
The grease fitting just self-threads as you turn it in. Get a grease gun, read how to properly grease a joint - someone posted a link on here that is very helpful.

Sway-bar end-links are a piece of cake! Easiest suspension part to replace, as far as I'm concerned - no need to jack anything up, but better access if you do - and if you screw up, the truck doesn't end up in the Jersey Barrier!

Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Originally Posted by northgator8
The grease fitting just self-threads as you turn it in. Get a grease gun, read how to properly grease a joint - someone posted a link on here that is very helpful.

Sway-bar end-links are a piece of cake! Easiest suspension part to replace, as far as I'm concerned - no need to jack anything up, but better access if you do - and if you screw up, the truck doesn't end up in the Jersey Barrier!

I thought so at first when I looked I thought they just self tap. But then for some reason I said that don't make sense. Thanks for the info. I'm just not into Fing things up. As I'm learning as I go here. I do have a grease gun that I was using to keep grease in my old toe rod ends when the boots got busted doing the control arms. ( I already knew they were gone ). but its a small gun and can't seem to find grease for it any more lol. So I'm going to get a new one today.

I'll also take a look at that link thanks.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:09 AM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Well I have got tie rods and sway bar links all done on Wednesday. Now im waiting for an alignment. Unfortunately it wont come till Wednesday. Doing tie rods solved the shake and the ride is better and fixed my off centre steering wheel.

Now its time to do spark plugs I've never done them before. So I have a few questions.
My truck is a 2010 v6 by the way.

Where are the 3 spark plugs on the passenger side or where ever they are? I found the 3 on drivers side no problem But cant find the other 3. Also what are the gap specs for them?

I know dumb questions but I'm all new to this. When I bought my truck it never came with owners manual.
This stuff is all new to me. But I hate paying people to do stuff that I can do. And I've had a few bad run ins with bad mechanics. witch made me start doing things myself. then I know its done right or at least if there not I didn't pay someone ridiculous amounts of money to f it up.

any help is vary much appreciated thanks.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:33 AM
northgator8
All Star

Originally Posted by Greatrack2012
I know dumb questions but I'm all new to this. When I bought my truck it never came with owners manual.
This stuff is all new to me. But I hate paying people to do stuff that I can do. And I've had a few bad run ins with bad mechanics. witch made me start doing things myself. then I know its done right or at least if there not I didn't pay someone ridiculous amounts of money to f it up.

any help is vary much appreciated thanks.
No dumb questions, just dumb mistakes when you don't ask what you don't know!

Go to the top of the forum page, see the sticky for the service manuals, download the service manuals - free!

Everything you need to know is in there. You can print off just the pages you need when you need them, or just read and remember for most stuff.

I don't have a V6 so I don't know where the plugs are, but you likely just have to remove some bits (air box? intake tube?) to expose them. They should be in the exact mirror position as the other side.

Cheers!

Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Originally Posted by northgator8
No dumb questions, just dumb mistakes when you don't ask what you don't know!

Go to the top of the forum page, see the sticky for the service manuals, download the service manuals - free!

Everything you need to know is in there. You can print off just the pages you need when you need them, or just read and remember for most stuff.

I don't have a V6 so I don't know where the plugs are, but you likely just have to remove some bits (air box? intake tube?) to expose them. They should be in the exact mirror position as the other side.

Cheers!
Oh awesome thanks for the help ill do that now. Thanks

Quick Reply: front end still shaking