3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Aftermarket backup camera not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:18 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket backup camera not turning on

A few months ago I installed an aftermarket double din stereo in my 2008 Dakota and I used the Axxess XSVI-6522-NAV interface which has outputs for park brake to allow DVD playback and also a reverse output to turn on a backup camera. I just got a license plate backup camera and installed it. I tapped the camera power into the reverse lead at the trailer wiring so the camera has power when in reverse. And then ran the RCA wire from the camera into the cab and hooked it up to the stereo. According to the stereo manual it should automatically switch to backup camera when shifting into reverse. I can manually switch to camera view with a button on the stereo but it won't do it automatically. I checked the wire from the Axxess unit to the backup camera lead and it does not have power when in reverse, or at all for that matter. Does anybody know if I need the dealership to allow the CANbus to send out the reverse signal?

Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie

I emailed Axxess and they told me that possibly my truck doesn't have the reverse function going through the CANbus (which I think is crap knowing how a CANbus system works) and that I either have to give it power from the reverse lights or from the transmission module. So unless I find out how to tell my truck cpu to send that signal myself or maybe the dealer will do it to next to nothing, I will probably just find the wire going to the reverse wire in the trailer wiring at the fuse box and tap into it there.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 PM
keithhud
Professional
Default Power for the Back-up camera

When I ran the RCA cable I ran both a power and ground wire with it. I didn't want to splice into the reverse lights so I can turn the camera on even when I am not in reverse (The kids love playing with it).

Did you get the CanBus Adapter when you installed the Radio? I bought the adapter and never had a problem with it. It sound like you can manually activate the camera?

Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 AM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie

Ya I installed the Axxess CanBus Interface with the stereo. Everything works great but I don't know why it doesn't switch to reverse camera when I shift. I can manually turn my camera on for now so thats ok but eventually when the weather gets nicer I will find somewhere close to or in the cab to tap into the reverse lead and run it to the stereo so it switches automatically.
Other than this small issue, the backup camera is great! I love being able to park within inches of the car behind me.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Where did you mount the camera? I honestly have been researching a setup and I think I have one picked out. Since my wife's car has one from the factory, Ive grown to love it as a supplement backing up, so I think my truck needs one. On top of this, I think it would allow me to hook my trailer up by myself.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:31 AM
keithhud
Professional

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Where did you mount the camera? I honestly have been researching a setup and I think I have one picked out. Since my wife's car has one from the factory, Ive grown to love it as a supplement backing up, so I think my truck needs one. On top of this, I think it would allow me to hook my trailer up by myself.

I have the Pyle Back-up camera similar to this http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLCM18B...c-Black-Chrome

What's nice it's almost dead center with my hitch so it makes it easy to connect up to the tailer.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Keltik

I'm in the same boat, I'm about to install my reverse camera on my 2007 dodge ram 1500 and need to know where to connect the reverse gear signal input for the deck. I'm not very experienced with this type of install. If anyone knows of a location in the cab that would be a lot better than running wire from the deck to the reverse lights in the rear.

I purchased the Crimestopper Camera because of its unique behind the plate mount. With my towing hitch in the way I wasn't able to lower my license plate and in AZ its against the law to cover your State on the plate.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...V-5345.IR.html

Last edited by Keltik; 01-20-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the idea of getting an aftermarket locking tailgate assembly, punching out the lock key hole and tumbler and putting the camera in it's place. What say you?

Old 01-31-2014, 12:34 AM
ForkliftJeff
Rookie

I have the metal license plate frame camera. It's mounted nice and sturdy using all four bolt holes. The bolts go in through the plate frame with nuts on the back which will help prevent theft. And it's sweet being able to back up within inches of the car behind you when parking. And yes you can clearly see the trailer ball to help when hooking up a trailer.

Here's a couple pics I took today after I installed super bright LED backup lights. It looks like the LED's next to the camera are on but they are infrared leds so you cant actually see them on, but I guess my camera can. They are to help when backing up in the dark.

IMAG0948_zpsctiwzr8z.jpg

IMAG0949_zpsb68ic9wc.jpg

I still haven't looked for a reverse lead in the cab to hookup to the deck. Still just manually switching to the camera when I need it.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket backup camera not turning on