3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2011 Dakota SLT

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 04:42 PM
buster01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Dakota SLT

Hey all,

A small issue I can't find a fix for: my windshield washer fluid (-45d C) is freezing up on the passenger side where it exits onto the windshield.

I know where it is freezing by carefully using warm water to thaw it out. It was -22d C for the past 3 nights....only in Canada eh?

I tried a different brand -45 also without results. Today it got warmer and it works ok. Is this a common issue with the Dakota's and how do I fix it?

Old 12-18-2013, 11:45 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think it's a common issue. I Live in Timmins Ontario, so believe me, i know cold. even in -45 last winter, my Dak, and a few others that i know about, have not had an issue with the windshield washer fluid. I use mainly Rain X fluids, the Bug and Tar in summer an the -45 De-Icer in winter without any issues, other then a non functioning low wash sensor. Common with the Rain X in Dodges, or so i hear.

Anyways, you possibly have a small pinhole making the pressure drop, and when it's colder, it's not getting enough to flow correctly, making it seem like it's frozen. Thawing it out with hot water might temporarily seal it so it works correctly until it gets cold once again and does a slow leak. I'm not saying that's what it is, but i've seen it in another vehicle. My old Chevy would pop one of the hoses and right before it would pop it made a slight leak which would make the sprayer do a small trickle instead of a spray. In winter, it looked like it was frozen, and the wash would build up infront of it when it was about to pop, which is what it did at first. I tried everything to keep it on, i couldn't find a small enough hose clamp. I figured it out the first time in the middle of winter when it sprayed washer fluid all over the exhaust. the steam made me look under the hood.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by buster01
Hey all,

A small issue I can't find a fix for: my windshield washer fluid (-45d C) is freezing up on the passenger side where it exits onto the windshield.

I know where it is freezing by carefully using warm water to thaw it out. It was -22d C for the past 3 nights....only in Canada eh?

I tried a different brand -45 also without results. Today it got warmer and it works ok. Is this a common issue with the Dakota's and how do I fix it?
It could also be some dirt lodged in the nozzle. Even the -45 stuff gets a little thicker in the cold, and it is possible that when the temp drops, it is too hard for it to bypass.

Also, dirt might cause another issue - as the fluid goes through the now-smaller orifice, it atomizes more than normal. The latent heat of evaporation can lower the temperature in the area to below the freezing point of the fluid. It freezes solid and without more fluid flowing past, it doesn't thaw until you add the warm water.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Dayum thats cold!

Old 12-19-2013, 11:25 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Northgator could be on the right track. makes more sense then the possible slow leak. My chevy had the sprayers on the hood, so the lines would move around. I completely forgot that ours are stationary in the cowl, so the lines don't move. There could be a small leak causing lack of pressure when cold, but a blocked nozzle could do the exact same thing. And it's easier to check rather then looking for a leak.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:58 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Dayum thats cold!
That ain't cold - last Saturday morning it was -27C windchill was -39C (which is -38F) when it gets that cold, we don't bother converting anymore!

I was supposed to go out and ride (horseback, dressage), but my cut-off T is -15C (about 0F) because the arena is always about 5C colder. Fingers don't work too well on the reins at that temp!

This year has been pretty cold already, and it's not even February yet, I'm glad I have my remote start!

Old 12-21-2013, 08:51 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Pampered in North Carolina where it hardly ever goes below 25. I canrt even imagine what below zero is like. Supposed to be close to 70 today.

Last edited by jkeaton; 12-21-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Xxaler
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem the few nights it was -20c to -32c. Just thawed it out with warm water and cycled it through until it was empty then put in new washer fluid.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:55 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

If I am parked outside of my insulated garage at home or my heated garage at work, my nozzles will freeze as well (yes, I am spoiled with my garages). We get below zero frequently in the December-January area, although not to -45. -10 to -20 at most usually, but the wind here makes it feel like -30 frequently.

The wind is usually what pushes stuff over the edge and causes it to freeze in my area. My old 2001 Ram 1500 used to have the issue more often than my current Dakota.

I just dealt with not having fluid until either I got home or the engine heated up enough to melt the blockage.

Quick Reply: 2011 Dakota SLT