3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Reprograming question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 03:29 PM
leadslinger48
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprograming question

A lot of guys talk about buying the superchips and reprograming there truck. My question is, do you have to buy the programmer or can a local shop program it for you? I have called a few shops in the Portland Or. area and none do this. Any advice?

Old 12-21-2013, 03:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Tuners are vehicle specific. Once you use one on a vehicle, it becomes "locked" to that vehicle. This prevents someone from buying a tuner and making money off tuning other vehicles. Most shops are not going to offer PCM tuning services as they would avoid causing trouble if something went wrong with the vehicle, or it failed emissions or something like that after it was tuned.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:46 PM
leadslinger48

Thanks for the quick response! looks like ill have to buy one then!

Old 12-21-2013, 04:18 PM
hemifever
SPONSOR

I can tune just about any of these so hit me up in PM or something if I can help

Old 12-21-2013, 06:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Yeah about the only choice is Hemifever or superchips. Hemifever can make the most out of any mods you may have with custoim tuning. Superchips is just canned tunes, meaning you get what everyone else gets.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:26 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I prefer hemifever tunes. Superchips has some decent transmission tuning if you get the extra $40 package to do so. Right now I have superchips and SCT stacked but I will be removing superchips soon and sticking with SCT.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by FrenicX
I prefer hemifever tunes. Superchips has some decent transmission tuning if you get the extra $40 package to do so. Right now I have superchips and SCT stacked but I will be removing superchips soon and sticking with SCT.
I found the extra $40 for the transmission tuning option was a waste of money. The canned tunes had better transmission tune in tow mode than anything I could come up with on my own. I spent hours developing transmission tunes and could just never come close to the canned tunes. Plus if you don't do your research and take your time, you can really screw up a transmission...lol

Old 12-22-2013, 10:45 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can control torque management, which would be worth it but I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes.

Quick Reply: Reprograming question