3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Head light won't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 PM
garryburrell
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head light won't work

Hi everyone. Wednesday I came home from work and found out that the driver side low beam light was out. So today at lunch I took the head light out to find the back of the bulb had come out of the bulbs body. The bulb still work in low or high as you can now turn the bulb 180 deg and then plug it back in. So the bulb was good (maybe not in the best shape). So what I need to know for this weekend is,the middle wire ground or power? So is the power coming in on the middle wire and the high low switch ground the two other wires? Or the high low switch move a relay to add power to one or the other outer wires and ground in middle. Also were can I get some new pig tails for the headlight sockets

Old 01-20-2014, 06:57 PM
garryburrell
Rookie

99looks and no one knows.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:30 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Driver side headlamp:
The middle would be ground, Black wire.
One side is High beam driver, White / Dark Blue wire.
Other side is Low beam driver, White / Light green wire.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 PM
timbo3875

Replacement socket. Dorman Part No. 84785

Old 01-23-2014, 09:22 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by garryburrell
Hi everyone. Wednesday I came home from work and found out that the driver side low beam light was out. So today at lunch I took the head light out to find the back of the bulb had come out of the bulbs body. The bulb still work in low or high as you can now turn the bulb 180 deg and then plug it back in. So the bulb was good (maybe not in the best shape). So what I need to know for this weekend is,the middle wire ground or power? So is the power coming in on the middle wire and the high low switch ground the two other wires? Or the high low switch move a relay to add power to one or the other outer wires and ground in middle. Also were can I get some new pig tails for the headlight sockets
While you were waiting on someone to tell you the answer..... a multimeter will tell you which wires have power and which is a ground and an Internet search would get you the part number.....

Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 PM
garryburrell
Rookie

Sorry I guess I should have told everyone I got it fixed the night I posted. I did use my multimeter to find the problem it was the low beam wire had a brake in it at the socket so I went to autozone and payed for a new socket. Took that home and installed it. I was a dumb a$$ with the light. When I broke off the back and just turned it 180 deg it came on then. Then took it out and turned it 180 deg again it worked ,but it was on high beam.also I can't get the. Manual to down load on this forum it won't smell to install a download program so if anyone has it on a PDF file can you please send it to my email at garryburrell@yahoo.com and as always thanks for all the help guy !!!!!!!!!!'!

Quick Reply: Head light won't work