3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Trans cooler line leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:00 PM
dnoishere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans cooler line leak

Hi...I need to repair a leak at the hardline/flex line spot on my cooler line...Gonna cut out the flex part and replace with hose and clamps...What size is the hard line ie: what size fittings do I need? Thank for any help.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by dnoishere
Hi...I need to repair a leak at the hardline/flex line spot on my cooler line...Gonna cut out the flex part and replace with hose and clamps...What size is the hard line ie: what size fittings do I need? Thank for any help.
Welcome to the forum. Please indicate what year, make and model vehicle you are referring to.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 PM
dnoishere

...oops forgot that info....2006 Dakota SLT 6 Cly automatic...

Last edited by dnoishere; 01-23-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:19 PM
mlarson29
Rookie

i would just replace the whole line. i replaced it a month ago on my 05 dakota. cost me 120 cdn probably alot less in the us and i took me 15 minutes to do.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need to replace the whole line, just the hose part. When I've done this, I cut the tubing right against the crimped hose clamp at both ends, then I ream out any obstruction your cutting may have caused. Now it's almost time to put the clamps and hose on, but since there's some pressure in that line, I don't like to put a hose on a smooth tube, so I use a tubing flare tool and a bit of a flare on the cut ends. You don't want much, otherwise you won't get the new hose on, in other words, don't go to the extent you would with a brake line. With a bit of a flare on, put 2 stainless clamps on the end of each tube and shove the hose on (it will be tight, so use some lubricant. I use silicone lube - it comes in a spray can). Now to finish it off, tighten the 2 hose clamps on each end with the screws on the clamps being on either side of the hose - it gives a more uniform pull this way and a greater clamping surface. I've never had one leak that I've done this way, and it's a LOT cheaper than getting the whole line, just make sure you get a hose that's compatible with transmission fluid.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

of course you know to NOT replace trans steel tubing with anything BUT steel tubing. i saw a guy use copper tube. it DID NOT work. allso i found this EXTERNAL trans filter. history reff chrysler did use there own in 1963-1964 new yorkers. this one i found is an EX RENAL filter. my hope with it is i wont need to go into the one inside the pan as much.
man o man i about forgot yes its a cut & past sorry. __________________
after you clean the trans. add this to your*chrysler*trans. an external fluid filter
1. go to auto-zone. get 2210, its called a power steering filter, but it is for transs to. it is for 3/8 tubing. by (magna-fine) be sure to use high pressure hose. Reff:http://www.magnafilter.com
2. for other sizes wix 58964 5/16 tube size

Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 PM
dnoishere

..right...I was going to use some compression fittings on the metal tube and barb fittings and clamps on the hose...but I need to know what size the metal tube is...3/8 I think?

Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 PM
mlarson29
Rookie

..right...I was going to use some compression fittings on the metal tube and barb fittings and clamps on the hose...but I need to know what size the metal tube is...3/8 I think?
i put in a new tube a month ago i still have the reciept for it. when i get home ill check it and tell you.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:04 PM
dnoishere

I'd be most thankful...

Old 02-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how you're planning to repair the line using both compression and barb fittings, if you cut out the hose, you won't have need for the barb fittings and I wouldn't use compression fittings, they're generally made for tubing that's softer than what's on that truck and have been known to slip when trying to splice in a piece of steel tube. If one of those lines comes apart when you're motoring down the highway, you can say goodbye to your tranny. A small flare on the remaining tube end and a couple of clamps on each side works really well, or if you're really ambitious, you can make up a whole new steel tube, but they're really tough to install.

Quick Reply: Trans cooler line leak