3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Alternative ideas for canopy clamps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 01:51 AM
Ronius_MAXimus
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative ideas for canopy clamps?

Hi everyone, so i'm thinking of getting a canopy with no clamps. I need to hall it to my house and don't trust just slanting it into my bed. Does anyone have any alternatives to canopy clamps for the Dakota? I know it may sound silly but if there's any ideas or suggestions around buying clamps for the short-term, I would gladly appreciate it, thanks.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

I'm not sure what you are referring to by "canopy"....a tonneau cover? Camper top?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 AM
LoCatus
Rookie

Four smallish C-Clamps? Those should do the job of getting it home. Small enough to fit where you need them, yet strong enough to handle some torque.

Bought a canopy for my 88 Ford Ranger with clamps. Bastid clamps kept coming loose over time. Wound up drilling holes and using some stainless steel bolts, washers and ny-lock (AkA Self locking) Nuts. Easy on, easy off and never came loose. LoL

Old 01-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Ronius_MAXimus
Professional

Originally Posted by LoCatus
Four smallish C-Clamps? Those should do the job of getting it home. Small enough to fit where you need them, yet strong enough to handle some torque.

Bought a canopy for my 88 Ford Ranger with clamps. Bastid clamps kept coming loose over time. Wound up drilling holes and using some stainless steel bolts, washers and ny-lock (AkA Self locking) Nuts. Easy on, easy off and never came loose. LoL
Thanks! I'll look into the C-clamps

Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 PM
koorbloh
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one-sided foam tape between the bed and the camper on my old S10. I pulled the camper, that was held by bolts one day, but didn't have time to put it back on properly. To put it back, I used straps and strapped it down. The tape kept it from sliding, and the straps kept it from lifting.

Worked great.

If you don't have tape, take rubber?

For a short term, across town, trip ONLY. Don't go cross-country or down the highway like this, OBVIOUSLY!

C-clamps are pretty much exactly what they sell to hold shells down -- nothing wrong with those

Quick Reply: Alternative ideas for canopy clamps?