3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

'05 fuel pump pull bed or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM
hangdogdaddy38
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 fuel pump pull bed or not

I know this is an old thread but mine is going out as well. I have a 2005 Dakota. My question is what is involved? Do I have to drop the fuel tank? Or do I have to pull the bed? Thanks in advance, Mike.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:15 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Mike,

A lot of guys with the 2nd gen Dakota find it easier to pull the bed. You can drop the tank too.

I'll move your thread into the 3rd gen forum.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:40 PM
sawfish
Professional

I think that dropping the tank is a more practical option, unless you have a lot of extra manpower around.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:37 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have the help, Pulling the bed isnt bad at all.

Dropping the tank is a pita if its full or near full. My advice is to run it as dry as possible before trying to drop the tank, if you do decide to go that route.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:36 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would pull the bed. Fuel straps can be a b!tch after 9 years of rust-welding.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:48 AM
hangdogdaddy38

Thanks for the reply's guys. My son crawled under there and found the electrical plug not quiet snapped in. He took alcohol and cleaned the plug and reconnected and it hasn't faulted again, yet. But I do believe time is short for it. Looking at what is involved though I believe dropping the tank will be the best route as it will be only my son and I working on it. Well off to get wheels and tires. Going with a set of TKO's. I'll post pics in the pic thread later today. It's my first big upgrade to the truck since I got it. Cheers, Mike.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 AM
daksnbeers
Professional

I pulled the bed when I Did my first gens fuel pump. I was the only one working on it but after I had everything unbolt, unplugged and the fuel filler neck out of the way I offered 3 neighbors a beer to help me lift it and set it to the side. My tank was at 3/4 though and my pump was done for. And didn't want to spill a bunch of gas. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:54 AM
hangdogdaddy38

Well after further examination I have found that pulling the bed would do no good. The sending/fuel pump unit is actually located under the cab, under that back seat of the cab of the truck. And we looked and there is no trap door to give access to the unit. So on the Quad cab the tank has to be dropped. Bummer!

Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 AM
kenttt
Professional

The sending/fuel pump unit is actually located under the cab, under that back seat of the cab of the truck. And we looked and there is no trap door to give access to the unit.
How about making your own "trap door". Cut a piece of the floor out, make an oversized patch, fasten it on w/caulking and SM screws.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:22 PM
hangdogdaddy38

I thought about that Ken but I really don't want to break the integrity of the cab of the vehicle. I'm afraid of not getting a clean cut done and rust developing. After my son crawled under the truck and unpluged the cable, cleaned it with alcohol and plugged it back in it's been working. Plus I've been running Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel and maybe that helped, but it was probably the plug. My son said he didn't think it was plugged in all the way. Now my oil pressure sending unit is faulting and on cold mornings will come on at crank up. After a few minutes I can turn it off and restart and it goes out so I'll pick one up at Advance tomorrow and install it. Thanks for all the imput men, it's nice to know there are other Dodge Dakota owners out there that care. Cheers, Mike.

Quick Reply: '05 fuel pump pull bed or not