3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

steering feels labored; ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default steering feels labored; ball joints?

After not driving the truck for a week or so the steering feels heavy. The wheel does not turn as effortlessly or smoothly; it has "sticky" spots as I turn the wheel. At least one ball joint is making some serious noise now too and I can hear it when I turn the wheel. Are these related or do I have bad ball joints and a steering problem? Starting my research.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 AM
rookie
Captain

Ok, disregard the idiotic part about the ball joint causing the problem. Did my research (better late than never). So I need a new rack and dirtfab's tie rod fixes. Ouch. I must have caused this to happen when I was measuring front wheel articulation. Oops.

If you have leveled your truck, this problem sounds inevitable if you flex it out.

I am glad that this truck has some good parts too or it would be set on fire and put out with a dip in the lake. I do blame myself for going down the modified road, though. One crappy mod deserves several other expensive ones doesn't it?

Goin to check out dirtfab's steering kit. You don't mind that I call you dirtfab do you? Real names on the internet are a buzzkill for me.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:29 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Whatever floats your mouse across the pad sir. Like I said in the PM. Im redesigning the steering kit so the clevis doesnt look so "crude" I dont have access to cnc unless I pay my vendor a stupid amount for setup fee. But once I redesign the kit the price will drop dramatically because it wont be such a pain to make and will include less parts. Also putting a bend in the tie rod to allow a more parallel angle at riding height.

Also check your power steering fluid. Stiff steering usually indicates low juice. Our trucks have common seal blowouts causing fluid to leak into the boots so it may not be noticeable at first.

Last edited by projektdirtfab; 02-28-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:30 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

And if you ever wanted to measure wheel travel in the future. We usually just pop the strut out and cycle the spindle with a jack and measure from ground to centerline

Old 03-04-2014, 10:53 AM
rookie
Captain

Sure, pop the strut out; I can tell you live in the desert, not the "wet" coast. I am scared to even try to remove the strut bolts and CA bolts unless I am prepared to cut/chop/rebuild. The salt, mud, water and ice are so destructive here, and yes I do wash the truck. I would love to cycle the suspension arms to see what's really going on, but I know its junk, so I will just hold on for new parts. Fluid level is fine and if the steering doesn't get any worse, I can wait for your re-design. It has been a little tricky with opposite-lock drifts these days!

I will take things apart if it helps you design/build the new stuff, though.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:57 AM
bbblake1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same steering problem last week. Stiff then smooth then stiff then smooth thru the turn and the wheel would not return to centre without help. The upper u-joint in the steering shaft was frozen. A new shaft solved the problem. Unfortunately the u-joint is not replaceable and a rebuilt shaft is not available. $400 CDN from dealer.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by bbblake1
I had the exact same steering problem last week. Stiff then smooth then stiff then smooth thru the turn and the wheel would not return to centre without help. The upper u-joint in the steering shaft was frozen. A new shaft solved the problem. Unfortunately the u-joint is not replaceable and a rebuilt shaft is not available. $400 CDN from dealer.
Common problem. Others have replaced it themselves and avoided the dreaded dealer sticker shock. Not that hard of as job.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:15 AM
rookie
Captain

ok, so it may not be the rack? those symptoms are spot on. are there any other ways I can check this? I will be looking into this as the rack is ordered but not paid for. thanks for the bump/update.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:26 PM
rookie
Captain

UPDATE! if you have any of the above symptoms, check the steering shaft u-joints.
mine were beginning to seize. I pb-blasted them and after a few minutes and some heat from the exhaust manifold, the steering felt brand new. I will look into a more permanent method of lubrication as wd-40/pb blaster types tend to dry up and make the problem worse sometimes. I think that I (with the help of forum members) just saved the cost of a new steering rack I was about to purchase. Thanks all.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:56 PM
conquest86*
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a steering shaft that is brand new that i will sell if someone needs or wants it for 170 shipped

Quick Reply: steering feels labored; ball joints?