3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Side mirror replacement / upgrade pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Marlin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Side mirror replacement / upgrade pictures

My truck came with the standard power side mirrors. They have a larger blind spot than I like and also are fixed. I bought a set of the larger power side mirrors and here are some pictures of how to install.

http://imgur.com/a/whw0V

There are 4 screws that hold the door panel on. 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. After removing them just lift up on the panel and it will slide up. You do not need to remove the panel completely just enough to get the 3 10mm bolts off the side mirror and unplug the harness.

Once you remove the 3 bolts and harness the mirror just slides off. Install is juts put the new harness in and rebolt up. Make sure to test before reinstalling the panel just in case the harness is loose.

You can get a set of mirrors around $70 for a set. I can say it is worth every penny. Looks great and much easier to back up and drive now. I really recommended this for anyone that has the standard mirrors on their truck.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:08 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this too..had a scrap truck and took them for $20. Wish the heated part worked but apparently its impossible according to previous threads. The bigger ones are a little goofy but more functional and enhance the look of the truck if you have a lift and bigger tires since they sit about 1.5" higher

Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I can't imagine my Dakota with those smaller mirrors.

Last edited by dakotaff; 03-18-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 PM
VPad54
Veteran

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I can't imagine mt Dakota with those smaller mirrors.
same here, they just don't look right imo

Old 03-18-2014, 08:15 PM
blackdak1376

So the 6x9 will work everything but the heat? Watching a set on ebay and want to get em to replace my sport mirrors

Old 03-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Marlin

Originally Posted by blackdak1376
So the 6x9 will work everything but the heat? Watching a set on ebay and want to get em to replace my sport mirrors

Yea the heat is turned on by the rear defroster button. I have the wiring going to my side mirror for the heat but not rear defroster/button.

Don't pay more than $70 for a new set. That was about the low end of the price scale I saw.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:32 PM
blackdak1376

Yeah, that's about the going rate. I think I will pick em up soon. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:07 PM
TheB2B
Default New Mirrors

Ordered what was billed as a drop in replacement towing mirrors, turned out to be a mirror set for a Ram 1500. Liked the mirrors way to much to return so I am in the process of grafting them onto my Dakota. Tested the electrical connections, up/down, in/out work and the mirrors get warm to the touch when the heat is turned on.

Biggest challenge is mounting the mirrors to the doors, Dremel to the rescue. Elongated the mounting holes, used oversize fender washers to cover them backed with neoprene washers the same size, cut the mount studs down on the mirrors as they are to long and replaced the connectors for the mirror wiring harness with the original mirrors harness.

The mirrors look out of place but they can be mounted and made to work. Have some more adjusting to do to the mirrors, when I'm done post some pictures. Will be towing a 24' camper so needed mirrors that stuck out past the camper so I can see.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:14 PM
blackdak1376

Looking forward to the pics. Kind of off topic but how does your truck do with the camper? I have a popup I haven't tried yet (I am sure that will be no problem) but am going to want to upgrade eventually so kinda wonder how these trucks do with a little larger trailer. Unfortunatly my truck doesn't have a towing package so I will be installing that over time. Ran across a thread on a Tacoma forum, couldn't believe what those guys are dragging behind their tacos. That thread inspired some confidence in the dak.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 AM
TheB2B
Default Mirrors Mounted

Mirrors are mounted, here are some pics of the finished project. Worked out better than I hoped as I have no problem seeing around my camper. Just from a day to day perspective the added side visibility is alone worth the time, effort and money to upgrade the mirrors.

As for towing the camper blackdak1376, I have no problem pulling, only issue I have come across is on very rough streets\roads bouncing of the camper telescopes to the truck. Going to need to stiffen the rear end some more thinking of adding air shocks. Will also be adding sway hitch adapter just to be safe.

Site won't let me upload the pictures, something about exceeding my allotment, so here is a link I put up in another thread with the pictures,

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...r-options.html

Last edited by TheB2B; 03-30-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Add link to pictures

Quick Reply: Side mirror replacement / upgrade pictures