3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Radiator tool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 AM
DABMIKE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator tool?

Hello,

I have a 2006 Dakota 4.7L 2wd and the plastic radiator tank on top is leaking and I need to replace it. The transmission lines have a quick disconnect and I have never removed one of those before. When I asked at two local parts stores between the blank look and suggestions that I just cut them off, I was shown the display with different tools and told one of them should work, they just did not know which one.

Can some one tell me which tool will work as I am hoping not to buy the "master" kit with tools I may never use?

Thanks.

Mike

Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a quick disconnect tool. I had a similar issue when I was removing my radiator last summer and needed to disconnect the tranny cooler lines etc. I didn't have one at the time and was able to make a shim out of an aluminum can. They are cheap though. Basically, there is a locking ring that snaps into place when you insert the cooling line. The tool simply slides around and between where the line is inserted into the radiator inlet hole, pushing the snap ring out of the way, then it simply slides right out. I will try to post a pic of what a tool looks like, but there are several variations. A whole kit doesn't have to cost much...but, they can vary between $6-$25 depending on quality.

quickdisconnecttool.jpg

Old 04-25-2014, 04:48 PM
DABMIKE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that is the info I needed. I saw a set for about $12 like the one you pictured above I will pick up on the way home tonight.

Thanks again.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem bro. It's the least I can do, after all the help I've gotten from so many others here on the forum.

Quick Reply: Radiator tool?