3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

JMR lift + LT suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 PM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default JMR lift + LT suspension

Lately, I have been thinking that some jmr lift components + some LT suspension components would be ideal for my suspension needs and desires.

I would like my truck to sit in the middle of the suspension travel which does not give me the desired approach/departure/breakover angles with out lifting. The CVs, tie rods and CAs should be at or close to horizontal for my taste in suspension travel and that leaves the truck sitting at stock height + the difference in tire size. Also with 35s I don't think I could fully stuff the suspension with out running the tire into something permanent. Lastly, with a 6" drop in the lower CAs, I may be able to fit long coilovers using the stock spring bucket with some modification. The lift alone does not provide adequate suspension travel and has a few items included that I don't want.

Does anyone know if the dropped xmembers are 6" lower? Are they using stock ram spindles? I have emailed JMR as well with these questions and an inquiry about individual pricing on their components. (that stuff is too expensive IMO)

Old 04-29-2014, 06:12 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Yes theyre kit essentially just takes everything and lowers it 6" on the frame. Running a coilover would yield a little extra travel but since youd be running stock arms and not changing the geometry at all. Itd pretty much be the same as a stock truck. Their kit doesnt allow any less or more travel. Just pretty much ground clearance on the frame.

ive never really suggested long travel combined with a crossmember drop kit just based on how the angles change with long travel. And I imagine itd be pretty unstable being that tall with a widened track?

But hey if you got the green to guinea pig then ill provide the goods lol

Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait so you aren't going to try RAM CAs? Where are you going to your longer CAs?

Old 04-30-2014, 12:46 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

You could probably go through the work to make ram arms fit which would just mean welding some tabs on the frame for the adjusted size of the arms...and I think the ram is about 2.5" wider per side so it would be like poor mans long travel lol...

but the balljoints would still hinder your travel as opposed to uniballs on real LT.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM
rookie
Captain

Yeah, I am going to use Dirtfabs CAs. I will try to keep the geometry as close as possible, with everything just getting longer and lower. The wider track will help stability and unlike most lifted trucks, I will be sitting in the middle of the travel, not at the top. If I run 35s, and keep the CVs horizontal at ride height, I will need the extra inches to stuff the tire. High angle CVs, longer CAs and big tires are going to require more room than I have. Right now, with the CVs leveled and worn out 32s on, I only have 6" of up travel before the tire contacts the structural members under the hood/fender. New 35s will take up almost 2" of that alone. I want to have room to potentially max things out: with high angle CVs and longer CAs I could see14"+ travel at the wheel (no promises). So I am trying plan for 8" of up travel to be safe.

If it is too unstable being squishy and tall, I will work out a sway bar and quick disconnects or just have fun lifting a wheel.

4" inches of drop would probably be enough, so I will look into fabbing the components. I know that JMR stuff is going to be blackmail-expensive, if they even break apart there kit for me.

How much lift are you getting out of the drop spindles, Dirtfab?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:16 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

Dirtfab do you have a link that leads to info on these or are they brand spanking new?

Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

My lift spindles will give 2wd trucks 3 inchs plus 3 inches of taller tire plus probably 2 or 3 inches in suspension. So it will compare to a 6" lifted truck but have double digit travel.

no links to my stuff yet. Havent pulled the curtain until the kinks are worked out. We have a facebook but I don't check that thing like some of these high school kids haha.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Well I think Dirt fab's long travel kit would be worth it. I will be purchasing it when it comes out. My whole desired build would look like Mr Grimm's mall crawler....but with a Dak instead of a Taco. So LT and 6" taller than factory is the way I want to go.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
My whole desired build would look like Mr Grimm's mall crawler....but with a Dak instead of a Taco. So LT and 6" taller than factory is the way I want to go.
My dream Dak has a 6" JMR with Dirtfab's LT arms and steering with Kore's high angle cvs, fiberglass quarter panels, stretched bed sides, the basic bolt on power mods, and tube bumper up front. Unfortunately by the time I would be able to afford all that my Dak will be to old for me to justify throwing so much money at it. First world problems.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 AM
rookie
Captain

I will not be getting much lift if any because I am thinking I will ride smack in the middle of the travel. I will need to drop the diff and cross members about 4" ideally.

Quick Reply: JMR lift + LT suspension