3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

vibration update

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:53 PM
baross1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration update

Yesterday I went to the front end shop that replaced a lot of the front end parts last year. He checked over everything and found no issues.
He suggested the rear brake drums were causing the problem. I figured at this point I would try anything. Bought new drums, replaced them and problem solved. Never suspected rear brake drums could cause that much vibration. Oh well,you learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the help. Thanks for noticing the misspelling of brakes on the last post. But with my truck, it's breaks.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:08 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Glad that you figured it out. But you really should have posted this in the other thread, so anyone reading later on can follow along.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:10 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was looking at my drums the other day, had one off the truck. They are incredibly solid. Beefy pieces of metal. Stock ones have been balanced but most aftermarket ones aren't. Because they are so heavy, a little out of balance from a warped drum or unbalanced aftermarket drum could definitely cause the issue. But just like you, it wouldn't have been my first place too look. But now I will haha.

Same goes for rotors too, my brakeperformance.com rotors were not balanced, but the OEM ones clearly had some metal machined from a small spot for balancing. Ditto on the wife's car.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

****. Now I want to do a brake job on both my vehicles. Thanks a lot. Lol.

Quick Reply: vibration update