3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Relocating the spare

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 02:06 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

about as accessible as it gets lol.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:23 PM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to relocate it THAT bad!

Old 06-01-2014, 09:18 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

DakotaAgain?, you are most likely looking for a solution such as i am, keeping yourself clean when having to replace it but keeping your bed accessible for hauling and such.

I just went back to Tiregate to see if they have anything new that would be a good option. They don't make any of their gates specifically for our trucks, but i wonder if the ranger, Tacoma, Colorado or Frontier VT would fit. Tiregate VT Series

An option that they have that i'm now thinking of, since i don't really need my spare for driving around town that much, is their HG series that mounds in the receiver hitch. They have many different options available for different accessories and such on it. TireGate HG Series
It swings out pretty wide, which i don't like, but since it's removable i can take it off for regular every day driving and put it on when i need it. Or, keep the stock spare under thebed for my regular everyday driving and keep a better spare hanging on the HG for when i head off the beaten path.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:12 PM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best solution I have seen yet. I also have a Wrangler where that kind of a solution is natural. It goes with the Jeep. I am not sure how it fits the Dakota's look. Would it look like an unsightly appendage? So there may not be a good solution to this. Just leave it down there and hope it is still inflated when you need it.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are located there to be out of the way and not in the bed taking up space. I imagine the extra weight was moved lower and was thought out also... kind of like moving the washer fluid container down and also some batteries are down to lower center of gravity.
Take the time a couple times a year and crank that spare down, lube the workings and check the air. You might actually learn how to do it without a manual also. If your going off road, then throw it in the back... pretty simple.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:53 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We used to carry the spare mounted to the front bumper. Bolted onto a bracket in front of the grill.
It was always accessible and always there for when you needed to push another vehicle.

Quick Reply: Relocating the spare