3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Relocating the spare

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:35 AM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocating the spare

Whoever thought of hiding the spare under the bed wasn't very smart. I have been thinking of moving it to somewhere more accessible but don't know exactly where. In the 50s they carried it on the side of the bed.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Well, not having a stepside, it would look kinda funny hanging off the side of the bed. In the bed is your only option, or on the roof. Could build a mount, pre-runner style for the bed. What exactly is wrong with mounting it under the truck? Just about every other vehicle carries them that way. Unless your constantly having to use it for flats, it is out of the way and unobtrusive. In the 4+ years I had my truck, I never had to use the spare and putting it on the bed would just take up room.

Last edited by jkeaton; 05-30-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:16 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been thinking the same thing, but i can't find a good way to mount it in the bed, either standing up or laying down that would be secure but easily removable so the bed is still accessible since i haul stuff often enough. I've given up on the idea since the bed is too small and decided to add a swing away tire carrier to the bumper when i redo my bumpers. The swing away part would not be the whole width of the truck like you have on wranglers so it doesn't stick out too much if you need to open the tailgate. Basically like this one http://www.sor.com/cat255b.sor

Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Not sure why you would want it more accessible, unless you're rotating all 5 tires regularly.
I guess these are some of the thoughts that people think about when they stay up too late.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran

Originally Posted by jkeaton
What exactly is wrong with mounting it under the truck?
Well, because it is under the truck! I have had my Dakota for 5 years now but to remove it I have to read the manual or poke around. Not even sure if the mechanism is still working, rusted or busted. For all I know the spare may even be flat by now. I like to know who checks the air in their spare on a regular basis.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:06 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

I do.....check it once a month when I check the other 4. It's part of being prepared for emergencies.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:27 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I check the spare tire pressure, not too often, but I do.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:06 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm looking to relocate mine so i don't have to go under the in mud to get the spare out when out in the bush.

it could always be worse though, like The spare on the new caravans.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Dragon05
Veteran

I took mine and put in the bed when I replumbed the exhaust to be center exit through the Rolland. New muffler is in the tire well. I don't use mine for hauling so having the tire in the bed is no problem.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
I'm looking to relocate mine so i don't have to go under the in mud to get the spare out when out in the bush.

it could always be worse though, like The spare on the new caravans.
They are actually easier imo, (drive a Caravan CV for work) its the same idea as a truck, just that to access it the mechanism is between the front seats. Probably less likely to rust aswell.

I thought about moving my spare, as they rust up alot were I live, on every truck. Ive even seen them actually fall off due to rust.

Quick Reply: Relocating the spare