3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

sway bar delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Lovinmydodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sway bar delete

for those who have done this mod, how does the truck drive daily? i do alot of inner city driving, stop and go etc.... wondering if removing the sway bar will help with the truck feeling like its being rocked back and fourth so badly over mildy crappy streets,

i've got an 05 with a 3 inch lvl kit up front, and coilovers on the rear,

just curious... because when I go over like bad parking lots it shakes the truck back and fourth, and im considering removing the sway bar completely and seeing how that does... any input?

Old 06-29-2014, 02:01 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

Depends on the shocks you have. Ranchos: do it. Anything else: it will make you seasick.

I tried running no sway-bar with factory struts and it was terrible. Now I'm running Rachos with no sway-bar and it handles better than factory with sway-bar.

This probably isn't the "shaking" you are referring to, but the coilovers do cause the back in to shake violently when going over uneven bumps when there is no load in the rear.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:47 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

I have Monroe struts and Rancho shocks. Went to replace the sway bar bushings one day and rust on the bottom fasteners interfered with me. I ended up just ripping off the swaybar and have been running no bar for three months now. It drives fine..I still hit 90 mph on the highway and it doesn't feel much different. Bumps, especially in parking lots, are 10x better however. The suspension can actually flex and do what it intends to do

Old 06-29-2014, 09:06 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In short. Yes it will help. Been running no bar since the night I brought it home from the dealer. Easier to understand if you think of that bar as a telephone line. All the energy that is made on one end...will make its way to the other end. Hence the rocking. The rocking occurs until all the energy has dissipated through the springs shocks and tires.

just dont expect to jerk the wheel on the freeway incase of an emergency and the truck handles like a porsche. Youll need to adjust your habits a little bit but the benefits out weigh that by far.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:42 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have removed both front and rear sway bars. I love the way the truck feels over pot holes, curbs, off roading (obviously). Its really not bad on the street and highway.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Lovinmydodge
Professional

took the sway bar off sunday, And unless I sell the truck, I'll never put it back on!

Old 07-06-2014, 02:07 PM
soupysocks
Amateur

I had mine off for about 4 months now, never, I don't plan on installing it again, the roads in my town are terrible (just like the people who run it) and I noticed more improvement than a negative.

My next plan is to fit the truck with Front KYB Excel-G struts and KYB Monomax rear shocks....

Old 07-06-2014, 06:52 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

You guys talking about taking the rear bar off or both?

If anyone has a rear bar and hardware they've removed. I WANT IT....

I'm in the ATL area but about to take a road trip down to Tallahassee, over to Mobile, then to New Orleans, up to Jackson, MS, back to ATL and coming through Birmingham. Anyone in that path or general area care to unload a swaybar, I'm game....

Quick Reply: sway bar delete