3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

well.... need some opinions and options

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 AM
Lovinmydodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well.... need some opinions and options

well, my wife and I have been wrestling with me selling my truck. and me go with something else.

I was wanting a 4 door 4wd fullsize v8 truck, or *(if wallets were deep enough) a turb dez lol...

but we just got her a 2011 crv as the family car.... so i can make my truck a play toy...

i've been going back an fourth on what to do...

as it sits right now its a 2005 dakota 3.7 2wd. I love lifted trucks.. i wish it were 4wd... but its not

it has a 3 inch lvl block on the front and it does sit perfectly lvl, I also have coilovers on the rear. flow master exhaust duals. and a y style inake *(cheap ebay intake)

i currently have 265/70/16 nitto terra grapps on it, but I'd really like to fit some 33 or 35x12.5's on her.

i'm not looking to drop 2-3 grand into suspension ie dirtfabs lift, or jmr 6inch kit, so i'm thinking of doing a body lift of 3 inches.

for those who have done the body lift, and a lvl kit, how do u like it?

secondly i'm wanting to swap the rear end gears out, however i'm the plain jain 8.25 rear end.... and iirc it is a 353 rear gears??? i'd like to find a lsd 4.10 gears...

the 3.7 is less than peppy, lol so i'm hoping with the slight lift and larger tires i currently have, and the plans to go up higher, for even larger tires, that the re-gearing will help, and if anything i'd really like to have a lsd.

so with all your opinions where would I find a company whom might make rear diff gears for this truck?

and i know all over ebay are 3 inch body lifts, but ... I DO NOT want to squeak when the body moves, and i've seen some nasty body lifts done, other than jmr where could I get a good deal on a 3 inch body lift?

also those who have done the 3 inch body lift on the dakota in my specific year body style were there any issues doing the lift?

i've read that on some the radiator core support needs to modified? anyone with some clarity would be great!

i'm looking to really change the overall fun of the truck so any ideas to make this ext cab slt more.... fun

and..... go......

i know i found a place that does alot of rear end stuff for the 8.25 29 spline rear ends on my truck, from 3.73, 4.56, and even 4.88 rear gears.... i drive this truck thru alot of stop and go traffic here in atlanta, alot of red lights, and every now and then its put on the hwy, i don't mind losing some mpg on the interstate because as it sits now... i see between 10-12 mpg in the city.... thats AWEFUL!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Lovinmydodge
Professional

also anyone know where i can find some fender flares for an slt ext cab 05 ???

Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM
bchapin05
Professional

Assuming you have an automatic since nobody makes a bodylift for a manual? Which is really annoying as I want to do one bad. Your mileage is terrible I get like 19 mixed city/highway with more city.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Lovinmydodge
Professional

yeah, i drive 4 miles one way to work, and its literally nothing but red lights every 300 yards....

LOTS of stop and go, and its always pedal to the floor to get out into traffic...... so yeah its AWFUL

Old 08-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Lovinmydodge
Professional

yeah, i drive 4 miles one way to work, and its literally nothing but red lights every 300 yards....

LOTS of stop and go, and its always pedal to the floor to get out into traffic...... so yeah its AWFUL

Old 08-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Lovinmydodge
Professional

Old 08-05-2014, 06:35 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovinmydodge
also anyone know where i can find some fender flares for an slt ext cab 05 ???
Here ya go, crew cab fender flares.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Lovinmydodge
Professional

ty sir!!! lol been hunting for EVER

and I've emailed about every single exhaust manufacture on making a set of headers for the 3.7, and a MUCH better designed factory fit y pipe collector.... but nothing yet

Old 08-09-2014, 06:00 PM
mlarson29
Rookie

Originally Posted by bchapin05
Assuming you have an automatic since nobody makes a bodylift for a manual? Which is really annoying as I want to do one bad. Your mileage is terrible I get like 19 mixed city/highway with more city.
lol my 05 4.7 gets 13-15 city/ highway bone stock. be happy

Old 08-09-2014, 07:16 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get a different truck, something that you want, 4 doors, 4x4, with a bigger motor...

Quick Reply: well.... need some opinions and options