3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Leveling kit and new tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:00 PM
black91gs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling kit and new tires

Recently did the ebay 2'' leveling kit upfront and purchased some Milestar Patagonia A/T 265/75/16. I really like how the truck looks now. To me it looks as though it should have from the factory. I'm a sucker for trucks leveled out with beefy tires on stock rims.

Doing the lift was easy on a Sunday morning. Next I will buy/install black headlights, then fogs and maybe a light bar in the future.

Opinions on fogs; yellow or clear HID?. I already have HIDS in my headlights.

Thanks for looking and a big shout out to this forum for helping me with my leveling kit install and guidance on tire size.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Truck.jpg (85.6 KB, 107 views)
Old 08-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Car ram rod:)
Default Sweet

Looks great!!! I'm running 265 75s ATM with no leveling kit. However I did pick up a set of American racing wheels this week. What I want is the 5inch pls system and 285.75s are you planning on paint matching your bumpers ??

Old 08-17-2014, 03:09 PM
black91gs

Originally Posted by Car ram rod:)
are you planning on paint matching your bumpers ??
Not any time in the near future. I'm good with the look as is.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Car ram rod:)
Default Either way

It looks great makes me want to hurry and get mine done

Old 08-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black91gs
Recently did the ebay 2'' leveling kit upfront and purchased some Milestar Patagonia A/T 265/75/16. I really like how the truck looks now. To me it looks as though it should have from the factory. I'm a sucker for trucks leveled out with beefy tires on stock rims.

Doing the lift was easy on a Sunday morning. Next I will buy/install black headlights, then fogs and maybe a light bar in the future.

Opinions on fogs; yellow or clear HID?. I already have HIDS in my headlights.

Thanks for looking and a big shout out to this forum for helping me with my leveling kit install and guidance on tire size.

I put a 1.5" leveling kit on mine, but kept stock tires. Looked alot better still.

For Black Headlight, Get OEM NightRunner ones, as they are all Black, Ebay ones have gray trim around the edge.

Installing Fogs (like I did) You "Should" replace the bumper cover, as it doesnt look good otherwise, as the holes for them you cant cut to look factory or very good looking. The OEM with Fogs has "channels" to get close to the light, so you cant look in and see around the fog like if you cut it out.

I went with White HID's, They are great. Not a fan of Yellow myself.

Ive been thinking of getting a LED Light bar for my Grille Guard, just dont got the money yet lol

Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks good, never saw those Ram wheels on a Dakota either, nice change. Some of the aftermarket black headlights do come with all black and not gray, mine are Depo headlights, and all black.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:14 AM
black91gs

Originally Posted by dakotaff
Looks good, never saw those Ram wheels on a Dakota either, nice change.
I honestly I did not like the rims at first, but have come to accept them. They look better with the bigger tires.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Ronius_MAXimus
Professional

Which ebay kit did you buy? How long did it take you and any problems? I sold rough country lift kit but I really wanna do a suspension lift and would prefer a different brand since RC's customer service was horrible with me.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:31 PM
black91gs

Originally Posted by Ronius_MAXimus
Which ebay kit did you buy?
I purchased the aluminum disc that sits on top of your strut. This one;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Leveli...21be07&vxp=mtr

How long did it take you and any problems?
This took me the better part of a day. After I was able to disassemble the pertinent parts, which took 1.5 hours. I thought I was ahead of the game. I then ran into problems with getting the nylon nuts onto both the tie rod bolt and upper ball joint bolt when reassembling. The bolt that spins freely, that you can not put anything on to keep it still. I used some pry bars, purchased at the auto parts store to create opposite pressure on the nut as I tightened it back up. So, I had the pry bar right on the nut pushing it in the opposite direction I was tightening , creating friction and putting pressure on the ball joint/tie rod bolt. Also I used pry bars to help bring the upper control arm/ ball joint into the steering knuckle.

The whole process is relatively easy, if you have done some wrenching on cars before and aren't timid. Most importantly if you have the right tools, on hand! Managing your time helps as well. For example every step I did on the driver side, I would stop and go do it on the passenger side before moving on to the next. Take the wheel off on driver side, then passenger side. Take the brake caliper off the mount on driver side, go do it on passenger side etc...

This thread by jkeaton was a tremendous help. Everything was spot on.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...installed.html

I sold rough country lift kit but I really wanna do a suspension lift and would prefer a different brand since RC's customer service was horrible with me.
I cant speak about the companies customer service. How ever on the instructions it says please call with any questions, provided a number and would answer the phone on a Saturday.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit and new tires