3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Custom suspension (mid/long travel) happening.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:42 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As requested: Dak with gun.
h03oTn7.jpg
P1EMjAa.jpg

The rest will have to wait.

The following users liked this post:
steveo 1117 (12-30-2020)
Old 03-27-2015, 03:12 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Now were talking!!! Lol

So whatd your front x member ground clearance end up being at full bump and droop. I know some trucks are scraping belly at bump.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:32 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

So, at full droop/stuff, do you get any cv bind? And thank you for the additional photos...we still need more though....with more guns....and more dak'ness....guns....chew...etc.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:38 PM
rookie
Captain

I did not measure ground clearance at full bump/droop, but I can get it for Ya. Most noticeable change is that despite the truck sitting higher than when it was leveled, I still have plenty of down travel which was not the case before.

Upper ball joint seems to max out before the cvs bind. Looking at some work arounds.

I don't have any more guns and I don't chew. Maybe some street bike pics? (Although i just wrecked it at deals gap/tail of the dragon.)

Old 04-03-2015, 04:03 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by rookie
I did not measure ground clearance at full bump/droop, but I can get it for Ya. Most noticeable change is that despite the truck sitting higher than when it was leveled, I still have plenty of down travel which was not the case before.

Upper ball joint seems to max out before the cvs bind. Looking at some work arounds.

I don't have any more guns and I don't chew. Maybe some street bike pics? (Although i just wrecked it at deals gap/tail of the dragon.)
So, with both wheels off the ground, you are able to turn each wheel free of any cv bind?

Old 04-03-2015, 05:10 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

almost every long travel kit at 3" over will be limited at 12" because of the upper uniball. The kits that cycle more usually have The uniball welded into the spindle vertically so that travel becomes unlimited but steering is now limited.

12 is pretty respectable in the dirt though. Alot of race classes limit you to 12 actually. To make things fair lol

Old 04-05-2015, 07:53 PM
rookie
Captain

Originally Posted by projektdirtfab
almost every long travel kit at 3" over will be limited at 12" because of the upper uniball. The kits that cycle more usually have The uniball welded into the spindle vertically so that travel becomes unlimited but steering is now limited.

12 is pretty respectable in the dirt though. Alot of race classes limit you to 12 actually. To make things fair lol

I think these ballistic uniballs will give pretty good steering if I re-configure (34 degrees) but trying to get more than 12" is a bit greedy. I'd like to be able to use the full stroke of that 10" shock though.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:56 PM
rookie
Captain

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
So, with both wheels off the ground, you are able to turn each wheel free of any cv bind?
Yes. No bind. I think it is partially because I have the cvs pulled out to max extension (the inner joint plunges). Designed it that way in the hopes of getting more clean travel. Seems to have worked.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:48 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Yes. No bind. I think it is partially because I have the cvs pulled out to max extension (the inner joint plunges). Designed it that way in the hopes of getting more clean travel. Seems to have worked.
thats what most people dont realize. Is cv bind is because at droop or bump your suspension is the shortest so the axle itself rubs the inside of the cup while it rotates. When the control arms are parallel to the ground is when the axle is pulled out the most. So when setting up suspension. Make it so there is about 1/8" slop in the cv axle while your arms are flat. And you'll be good to go.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:03 PM
rookie
Captain

So I am at approx. 4.5" ground clearance at full stuff too. Have to estimate the tire squish and whatnot. 16.5" full droop.

Quick Reply: Custom suspension (mid/long travel) happening.