3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

*Official* Projekt Dirt's Long Travel Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:24 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Absolutely! There is not much to jump...or "whoop" through, but LT would be great for all the dirt roads we take to huntin' spots, fishin' spots, off-roadin' spots, etc. I would opt for the frame reinforcement. Oh, and here is a picture of the prius...

Nice car. Talon? Makes me miss my 300zx TT. Sick fast car. Going fast in the dirt is so much more fun. Ive done 140 on pavement and 110 or so in dirt. Adrenaline is crazy doing those speeds in the most uneven terrain :-P

Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Oh, and here is a picture of the prius...

Doesn't look like any Prius I've ever seen . . .

And "taking a Prius to the track" is wrong on soooo many levels. .. . .

Old 04-01-2015, 12:41 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Yes, 1991 Eagle Talon TSi. 2.4L bottom end, Wisecos, Eagle rods, 1mm OS SS valves, Crower 280 cams. Car made 435whp on 18psi with a 57trim t3/t4. The a/r was too small for the 2.4L and big cams, so it was very choked. In fact a 4th gear/5th gear pull on 27psi I would get compressor stall under boost ramp, lol. The GTX35R should produce a healthy 650-680whp with conservative timing maps.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:27 AM
i.who.made.you
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of us that are fine with sacrificing a little strength and durability will it be possible to modify the factory spring mount without welding (like rookie did)? I have this thing about welding, and not being able to do it.

Have you actually found a set of Deavers that will be compatible or are you having them/someone make a custom set?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:49 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by i.who.made.you
For those of us that are fine with sacrificing a little strength and durability will it be possible to modify the factory spring mount without welding (like rookie did)? I have this thing about welding, and not being able to do it.

Have you actually found a set of Deavers that will be compatible or are you having them/someone make a custom set?
Deaver already has specs for our trucks. They built the springs for the baja raider. So ill either go with those sprung under with long shackles or just get a set of deavers from a tundra or Tacoma something. Whichever matches our measurements the best. All pro and giant motorsports also have some pretty good 64" leaf combos.

and as far as not modifying the factory coil mount. You could definitely retain it but would be limited to about an 8" coilover. I would make an adapter plate that bolted to the under side of the "hat" and then modify the lower arm. Slap a new upper arm and tie rod ends and you have a pretty stout front end with probably 9 or 10 inches of travel. Not to mention 3 inches of lift and the plush ride of coilovers lol

Old 04-02-2015, 01:28 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

Originally Posted by projektdirtfab
So ill either go with those sprung under with long shackles
Under? Spring under the axle or shackle under the mount?

And I think we're on different pages about the CO mount. I was asking if this would be compatible with the LCA setup:

https://i.imgur.com/1KiwKkG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/71KNvhS.jpg

Old 04-02-2015, 04:01 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Under? Spring under the axle or shackle under the mount?

And I think we're on different pages about the CO mount. I was asking if this would be compatible with the LCA setup:

https://i.imgur.com/1KiwKkG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/71KNvhS.jpg

Spring under axle and shackle under mount. Provides the most travel while keeping the ride height low for center of gravity.

and yes you could cut the center out of your strut mount and make up a tower sort of thing. You would just have to get clever about bolting it in if welding isnt an option.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:42 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

My spring question was dumb. It just went through my head as shackle flip when I read it.

And honestly I want the welded strut mount but I can't afford (or want) someone else to do the install. If this happens, I'll get it running on the modified strut tower and then take it to someone just to have the strut tower removed and a new one welded on.

Compatible shock tower brace?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

My spring question was dumb. It just went through my head as shackle flip when I read it.

And honestly I want the welded strut mount but I can't afford (or want) someone else to do the install. If this happens, I'll get it running on the modified strut tower and then take it to someone just to have the strut tower removed and a new one welded on.

Compatible shock tower brace?

Yea you can easily fab up a crossover style brace to tie the 2 mounts together. Im doing something a little different :-P

Old 04-03-2015, 10:12 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Got a fresh slice of 3/16 plate. Doing all the gussets and plate work on lower arms.

20150403_184948_zpsjnlkcu5f.jpg
20150403_190138_zpsdcv2dnta.jpg

Quick Reply: *Official* Projekt Dirt's Long Travel Build