3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Going through front brakes like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:31 PM
sawfish
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem and wound up replacing the hub and bearing, which cured the problem.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Dakar

I seem to be going through brakes like crazy as well. I've had my truck for 60k+ miles (bought at 41k). The pads wore out around 50k, had them replaced and I thought a rotor as well (never use firestone IMO). Had a slight wobble when slowing from highway speeds (always happened between 40-50 mph, anyone else encountered this?) so me and buddy who both know our way around cars replaced both the pads and rotors around 80k (rotors were identical in rust so I know firestone did not replace). Now with 107k on the clock I have a nice shimmy when braking lightly at highway speeds (if I hit the brakes hard shimmy is much less). This leads to think the rotors are warped. Just had new tires and whole front end done 5k ago and just got the tires rotated. Sears said nothing about the brakes either time but said my alignment was slightly out when I got the tires rotated, I plan to ask about the brakes when I'm there on Saturday to get the alignment straight. Any suggestions would be great and much appreciated.

PS. I drive like it says Porsche on the back and like a fool I bought the cheapest brakes from advance.

PSS. I've never touched the rear drums

Old 06-26-2015, 12:09 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Reply to PS - try using good pads and properly bedding them into new rotors.

That will do wonders for avoiding the shimmy.

OTOH, at the mileage your truck now has, it may be about to need front end work especially if the alignment is now off.

Get it aligned, get them to check the bearings and all wearing parts, and see if that helps some.

RwP

Old 06-26-2015, 10:34 AM
transamlover50259
Rookie

Sawfish brings up a very good point about the wheel bearing, if the bearing is showing excessive wear you're going to end up with negative camber in both the tire and the rotor. When mine failed it did not make any noise until the rotor was actually in contact with the caliper bracket, there was THAT much negative camber.

When I replaced my brakes, (pads and rotors) I got them through NAPA. I used the Sure Stop (SS) series pads. Those are the mid grade pads and they come with the steel clips. The pads are normally just a touch over $45, but they are quite grippy and absolutely dead silent.

Quick Reply: Going through front brakes like crazy