3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Engine problem DESPERATE FOR HELP

Old 07-15-2015, 04:13 PM
dakotadixie24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problem DESPERATE FOR HELP

Sorry if I crashed the party, im desperate and really want to fix my poor dakota
So everything is fine except when you step on it and it gets to about 2500 RPM it starts to sputter and jerk really hard and wont stop until it gets back down to like 2200 RPM, even if you take your foot off the petal.
Replaced the cam sensor twice, replaced the trucks computer, had it checked by several mechanics and took it to a Dodge dealership and no one has been able to even tell me whats wrong with it!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:23 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can't get a certified dealer mechanic to diagnose it. You need to send it back as a lemon and get a new one. I absolutely hate when dealership "technicians" can't figure it out.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Soco3087
Rookie

I had an issue with my 08 dakota not having enough power and falling flat when I went to climb hills or get on the highway, had a few shops try to figure out the problem but still no luck. I though I had a transmission issue but it wasn't that. The only reason I am saying this is because in my quest for an answer to the problem I am still having I found out the the governer pressure sensor in the transmission is almost a 100% fail rate for these truck according to the transmission guy I went to. So you may want to look into that. It didn't help fix my truck but it many help for your problem.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What model and mileage is your Dakota?

Only time I've ever had that happen is back with an old carbureted engine. Fuel filter was dirty.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:05 PM
dakotadixie24

Originally Posted by Jaded
What model and mileage is your Dakota?

Only time I've ever had that happen is back with an old carbureted engine. Fuel filter was dirty.
Its an 06 with 250k on it. I have the option of replacing the engine with a used 5.2 ram engine, but i don't want to bother doing that if it wont fix the problem.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:34 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 5.2 ram engine in a 3rd Gen dak??? Am I missing something?

Old 07-16-2015, 09:18 AM
dakotadixie24

Originally Posted by projektdirtfab
A 5.2 ram engine in a 3rd Gen dak??? Am I missing something?
lol I was told it was possible. Im not much of a car expert at all so im trying to get the best advice i can find. if putting a new engine in it wouldnt solve the problem I'm just going to sell it back. Just want to know if the problem IS fixable or not but it sounds like it isnt.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:33 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would agree with Jaded. it sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. Or a spark issue. If it was a spark issue, you would most likely get a misfire code. Fuel delivery could also give a misfire code, depending on the severity.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:52 AM
dakotadixie24

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
I would agree with Jaded. it sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. Or a spark issue. If it was a spark issue, you would most likely get a misfire code. Fuel delivery could also give a misfire code, depending on the severity.
There was a spark issue and we fixed that, didn't fix the bigger problem though. I'll see if we can check the fuel filter this weekend.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:42 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

when you had a spark issue, were you getting misfires? if so, then your catalytic converters might be clogged and when the revs get too high there might not be enough flow to get all the exhaust out, which could cause the engine to act strangely like this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine problem DESPERATE FOR HELP