3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

would like more power

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:55 PM
kota17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would like more power

iv got a 05 dak and believe it or not i hook it to a pulling sled quite often and with only a k&n intake custom exhaust and a superchips programmer i normally come about middle of the class... which is great considering im pulling against full sized and 3/4 ton pickups with 75+ more horses then i got however, i would like to add a little more power to really show up the full sized trucks what my "little" dakota will do. iv been looking around a little and my thoughts were to remove the mechanical fan and add a electrical one then add a newer intake manifold and finally a H.O. cam.

i was wondering if anyone has done this, or has any suggestions. let me know what you think

Old 07-27-2015, 06:13 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

Intake manifold from who? HO cams from who?

Also you could throw in so headers and high flow cats for a few more ponies. Nitrous will add some serious power and a nice exciting sense of danger; plus it is the cheapest mod option for power available to you.

Some one else wanna chime in on if the HO cams would be effective on a reprogrammed PCM?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:18 PM
kota17

Originally Posted by i.who.made.you
Intake manifold from who? HO cams from who?

Also you could throw in so headers and high flow cats for a few more ponies. Nitrous will add some serious power and a nice exciting sense of danger; plus it is the cheapest mod option for power available to you.

Some one else wanna chime in on if the HO cams would be effective on a reprogrammed PCM?

an intake manifold from a new dak i heard (well actually read) that the newer intake manifolds flow better. and a H.O. cam from a 4.7 HO

Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

I think I've read that same article. If so, it was a 2nd Gen Dak with the same 4.7 Powertech SOHC as ours but they used a different intake manifold back then. 2005-2010 use the same one so no gains there. No one makes an aftermaket intake manifold (that I've found) with the exception of a few designed for boosted engines and you would actually loose power from reduced volumetric airflow.

And I mean who are you going to buy the HO cams from?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:42 PM
kota17

i couldnt tell you... that was kinda the point of this post, to get some suggestions and ideas

Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 AM
transamlover50259
Rookie

There are still HO cams out there... I got a set out of one of those special edition jeeps in a scrapyard, (can't remember what they called that model jeep, but according to what I had read all the 4.7's in that particular one were HO engines, and verified with the VIN.)

Old 07-29-2015, 11:32 PM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I'm correct your talking about the 02-04 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7l HO. I don't know if any changes were made to 05 4.7l that we have in our beloved Dakotas.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:51 PM
kota17

well what would you guys suggest to get me a few extra ponies?

Old 07-30-2015, 06:11 AM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by projektdirtfab
Ho cams, intake mani, cai, hemifever tuning, electric fan, throttle body.

There. You'll be picking on stock hemi rams in the school yard.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota/388907-2005-dakota-4-7-to-ho-swap.html

Old 08-01-2015, 04:53 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

Rockauto sells reman HO cams for the J VIN 4.7L. Factorychryslerparts does too. Both will run you over $1000 for the CAMS and if you don't install them yourself it's not cheap. I really want a set but realistically you would be better off installing a NOS wet kit that's only a 75 shot or even a 50 shot designed for 4&6 CYL engines. I know a lot of people don't like NOS but a set of HO cams won't net you but 30 ponies and a mild NOS kit doesn't pose much of a threat to the engine and would allow you to maintain good mileage around town while delivering the extra power in front of the sled. Hundreds of dollars cheaper too.

Quick Reply: would like more power