3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front end Moog parts help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:01 AM
stonny9
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end Moog parts help

2005 Dakota Crew 4.7 2WD

I am trying to find the part numbers for the MOOG Problem Solver for a complete front end rebuild when I get new tires within a month. I have been searching but am still unsure. Added the complete control arms to RockAuto cart then realized they werent the "Problem Solver" model. One site said the part need the "CK or K designation" for the greasable joints. I will buy them from wherever needed.

I can press in/out the bushings if it is gonna save me $100+ dollars but am open to all options.

What exactly do I need?
Ball Joints top/bottom
Tie rod ends
Sway bar end links
sway bar bushings
A-arm bushings top/bottom

Old 10-24-2015, 10:08 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Go Raybestos Professional Grade or Advanced Technology instead. Or ACDelco. Both of those are relabeling the old Spicer Pro parts, some of the best that ever were.

Also, if you go for Moog parts - get the "K" prefix, that's the old Problem Solver line. The "CK" is the cheap line. Plus, before you put them on, replace all the rubber with Energy Suspension or Prothane poly parts (Moog rubber isn't lasting anywhere as long as it used to ... )

RwP

Old 10-24-2015, 12:24 PM
stonny9
Amateur

Ok thanks for the info. I really need the part numbers. As I am not up on the brands to buy. I have already looked for a few hrs

Old 10-24-2015, 02:27 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here are a few part numbers for you:

MOOG Part # K750263 - Sway Bar Links - Greasable Problem Solver
MOOG Part # K620006 - Upper Control Arms - Problem Solver
MOOG Part # ES3571 - Outer Tie Rod Ends - Problem Solver

Front struts
Rancho Part # RS5757
Monroe Part # 171100 Quick Strut Assembly

Rear shocks
Rancho Part # RS5315
Monroe Part # TS58650 - Sensa Trac Load Adjusting

Last edited by dakotaff; 10-25-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:50 AM
bchapin05
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotaff
Here are a few part numbers for you:

MOOG Part # K750263 - Sway Bar Links - Greasable Problem Solver
MOOG Part # K620006 - Upper Control Arms - Problem Solver
MOOG Part # ES3571 - Outer Tie Rod Ends - Problem Solver

Front struts
Rancho Part # RS5757
Monroe Part # 171100 Quick Strut Assembly

Rear shocks
Rancho Part # RS5315
Monroe Part # TS58650 - Sensa Trac Load Adjusting
I pretty much bought all these parts minus the rear shocks as I just used the rough country kit ones. I went to get an oil change 2 months after and the shop said I need ball joints. I was like I just changed them stop trying to sell bs. They are like ohhh. They try to sell ball joints literally every time you go in there.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:12 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

I have one even better from long long ago (the 70's).

I had a 1967 Mustang that needed the front end rebuilt.

I ordered the parts from JC Whitney (all Moog!), and rebuilt it - new uppercontrol arm bushings, new upper ball joints, new lower ball joints, new tie rod ends, new idler arm, new lower control arm bushings, new strut rod bushings - EVERYTHING under the front end.

Being as how I didn't even begin to trust my ability (at the callow age of 19!) to align the front end, I carefully set toe to something believable, then carefully drove 2 miles to the Sears store to get the front end aligned.

The front end guy tried to tell me the front end was worn out and I needed everything.

This with me standing there in a greasy shirt, with grease and dirt imbedded into the back of my hands, and smears of dirt and grease all over my face ...

I don't ever take my car to that Sears, haven't since, oh, 1976 or so.

RwP

Old 10-27-2015, 09:15 AM
stonny9
Amateur

I just need to get these ordered. Had the truck for a year and one tire is now bad that was cupping when I first got it. So I want to do new front suspension right before I get new tires.

Is this a good site?
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...scri=46&filter

Why so cheap? Also it states "Greaseable design where applicable"
Amazon.com: ACDelco 46D2378A Advantage Front Lower Suspension Ball Joint Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 46D2378A Advantage Front Lower Suspension Ball Joint Assembly: Automotive

Old 10-31-2015, 09:02 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by stonny9
It looks like a good site, but prices may or may not be the best, shop around. Rockauto seems to have the best selection of parts, and good prices. Check out the Rockauto thread for a 5% discount code (post #18) and ways to save on shipping (post #17).

Originally Posted by stonny9
Why so cheap? Also it states "Greaseable design where applicable"
Amazon.com: ACDelco 46D2378A Advantage Front Lower Suspension Ball Joint Assembly: Automotive
It's cheap because it's not the best (not even close) ball joint that you could put on your Dakota, and it's greaseable 'where applicable', which means nothing for that particular ball joint.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:02 PM
stonny9
Amateur

I ended up ordering all the parts from NAPA for about $540. They had to have a couple parts shipped 300 miles so waiting on them to call and I'll pick up all of them at once.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:54 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that's me, a NAPA guy, everything I ever needed I got from napa, and if you save your recent and something fails, they replace it for free, literally, had a water pump I installed 2 years ago and the seal went bad, called them had receipt and even exchange, great company to do business with

Quick Reply: Front end Moog parts help