3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Strange Codes P0700

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:36 AM
jayare627
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Codes P0700

Hi all new to the forum. Just bought a 2005 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7 4x4 with 132k on the clock. Anyways it had no pick up at all so I did a tune up replaced plugs with Champions, PCV valve, air filter, oil & filter, TB cleaned and IAC & MAF cleaned. After I started it up threw a code turning on the engine light. Figured it just needed to get used to everything as now this truck a a ton of pick up and felt like a V8. Drove it for a day and the light turned off. Did a long trip about 200 miles and on the way back it started sputter and CEL came on, then it also felt like it was constantly trying to shift in and out of gear. Anyways hooked up the code reader and it had:

P2305
P0302
P0700

Figured out that it was the coil cyl#2 so I'm just replacing all of them. I've ordered all the coils and am just going to replace all of them. I also cleared all the codes. The P0302 has come back (as expected until I get the coils) but the P0700 hasn't and I haven't had any problems with the shifting of the transmission. I've also read on the forums that P0700 is just a generic code and there should be another one to specify what the actual malfunction was...but there wasn't anything else.

Would love to hear everyones thoughts on this. I plan on doing the transmission filters & fluid change just as a precaution. It doesn't look bad at all, but where the truck is new to me I like to make sure everything is done.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:52 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok...first of all, our trucks do not have MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensors. We have MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensors. They are two totally different animals. I would check your wiring and connectors to all your coils, and ensure good contact between the coils and the plugs. Its a little weird that a coil would fail immediately after you change plugs.

For your trans code, it sounds like the ECU was trying to compensate for driver demand, a malfunctioning powertrain, and changing gears, which through the p0700 code. I would worry too much about the trans code, unless it comes back.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:11 PM
jayare627
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I had cleaned the sensor in the air filter canister and assumed that was a MAF sensor.

I haven't had the P0700 code come back so I am hoping that is the case. I doubled checked the wiring and wasn't able to find anything loose. Are the coils prone to failure or just considered a maintenance item on these engines? Thanks again for your feedback.

Quick Reply: Strange Codes P0700